• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Christmas Company Meal -too late ?"

Collapse

• GillsMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Joxer View Post
    I plan on claiming my Christmas party (myself as the sole employee, and a guest) as a tax deductable expense.

For a relatively innocuous reason I ended up paying for this in two seperate transactions to the following values:

£250.60 and £50.60 = Total £301.20

I understand that over the £300 mark (£150 per person) this becomes a benefit in kind and things get messy.

Could I get some guidance on whether I should look to claim for £250.60 (referencing just one receipt) or alternatively claim for the full £300, ignoring the £1.60?

My thinking is that option 1 the way to go and option 2 may not even be allowable but would welcome a second opinion.
    If you're talking about tax deductable expenses than my understanding is:

It's per employee, and not per employee's guests. As your company is made up of one employee, you're allowed one lot of £150 to spend.

Furthermore, you can spend UP TO £150. As soon as you spend over that amount, then the full amount becomes non-tax deducatable. In otherwords, because you have two receipts, and one of those receipts of for way over the £150 threshold, the only thing you could claim on is the £50 receipt. Unlucky.

Unless my understanding is completely wrong, which is always a possibility.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by Joxer View Post
    I plan on claiming my Christmas party (myself as the sole employee, and a guest) as a tax deductable expense.

For a relatively innocuous reason I ended up paying for this in two seperate transactions to the following values:

I understand that over the £300 mark (£150 per person) this becomes a benefit in kind and things get messy.

Could I get some guidance on whether I should look to claim for £250.60 (referencing just one receipt) or alternatively claim for the full £300, ignoring the £1.60?

My thinking is that option 1 the way to go and option 2 may not even be allowable but would welcome a second opinion.
    Not sure. I'd be safe and do the 250.

VAT is not claimable for your guest though....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    From what I read on here this doesn't just cover xmas. It can be any number of works events over the year but cannot exceed the amount in total for the whole year. If you claim last xmas do in this year up to the max you can't have another do in the next 12 months I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Joxer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Robot View Post
    Observation -
    Last edited by Robot : Today at 22:40. Reason: Made an observation - but decided to take it down, to many eyes reading.
    Isn't eyes reading kinda the idea of a public forum???

Leave a comment:

• Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    No - if you are a director (but NOT an employee), then you aren't invited. It has to be an employee, and all employees have to be invited.
    Observation -
    Last edited by Robot; 10 February 2010, 22:40. Reason: Made an observation - but decided to take it down, to many eyes reading.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

It's been discussed before - "if I'm on holiday and we go out for a fancy meal, can I claim it as my Christmas party?"

If DS23 was seriously considering claiming for it while abroad (I don't recall who originally asked the question, and CBA to search for it), then he is potentially going to end up in trouble with the tax man for it.
    Thing is the way I read it he wasn't being serious though lol.....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Ohh you can be so Bah Humbag FaQQer!!! chillax and smile for post or two

It's been discussed before - "if I'm on holiday and we go out for a fancy meal, can I claim it as my Christmas party?"

If DS23 was seriously considering claiming for it while abroad (I don't recall who originally asked the question, and CBA to search for it), then he is potentially going to end up in trouble with the tax man for it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    As long as you aren't claiming a meal while in Barbados, then you should be OK - I wouldn't want to try and claim it if it was away from home.
    Ohh you can be so Bah Humbag FaQQer!!! chillax and smile for post or two

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    indeed. perhaps an annual bash at co's year-end would be in order then instead of an exmas "party". for me that will most likely be whilst on holiday in the summer. excellent idea. a most excellent idea.
    As long as you aren't claiming a meal while in Barbados, then you should be OK - I wouldn't want to try and claim it if it was away from home.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Had a meal last week and I put mine through with January expenses with no questions raised by accountant, my understanding is that its a yearly allowance for employees (myself and co secretary ie;wife)and cannot be over the £150 a head

I am sure someone will be along in a moment to right my wrongs
    Just because there are no questions raised by your accountant, that doesn't mean that it's correct, though

I'm not saying (s)he is right or wrong in this instance, but I'd be wary of just thinking "oh, the accountant says it's fine, therefore HMRC will agree with them"

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
    Actually, isn't it £150 per person, where the maximum number of people allowed is equal to the total number of employees / directors plus a guest each?

Therefore, if you had two company directors, the total number of people allowed would be 4, making the total amount available equal to £600.

The only questionable decision would be whether you class a director as an employee?
    No - if you are a director (but NOT an employee), then you aren't invited. It has to be an employee, and all employees have to be invited.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Actually, isn't it £150 per person, where the maximum number of people allowed is equal to the total number of employees / directors plus a guest each?

Therefore, if you had two company directors, the total number of people allowed would be 4, making the total amount available equal to £600.

The only questionable decision would be whether you class a director as an employee?

Leave a comment:

• vandiss
    replied
    Some blurb from my accountant's guidelines...

Entertaining and gifts

Staff entertaining is tax deductible up to £150 per year per employee. It is important to ensure that you do not exceed the limit as the whole amount then becomes taxable, not just the excess.

Client entertaining is not tax deductible.

Gifts to staff are tax deductible and do not create a benefit in kind to the employee provided that they are “trivial”. This would normally be a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine at Christmas.

Gifts to clients are generally not tax deductible unless the gift has a conspicuous advertisement, cost no more than £50 per person per year, and are not food, drink, tobacco or gift vouchers.
    So no gifting yourself £150 in Amazon vouchers.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Just invent a holiday like festivus

Leave a comment:

Working...
X