• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas Company Meal -too late ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Having an allowance for a specifically Christmas meal could be intepreted as discriminatory against those who do not observe that festival ...
    As was mentioned 3 posts ago this is now being brought under the unbrella of annual events..

Keep up at the back!! lol
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

indeed. perhaps an annual bash at co's year-end would be in order then instead of an exmas "party". for me that will most likely be whilst on holiday in the summer. excellent idea. a most excellent idea.

Comment

My accountant confirmed this can be any time of year. Furthermore it can be a number of events as long as the total is not over £150 a head.

Clientco I work for has a very small xmas do, and a much bigger black tie event every year in Jan/Feb. It's billed as a "winter ball", I suspect it's held then hiring out a suitable sized venue (in this case 1000+) is far cheaper than in Decemeber. I'd expect they still claim this back against tax in the same way. I don't see why a contractor having thier annual event in Jan/Feb/whenever would be any different.

Comment

Just invent a holiday like festivus
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Some blurb from my accountant's guidelines...

Entertaining and gifts

Staff entertaining is tax deductible up to £150 per year per employee. It is important to ensure that you do not exceed the limit as the whole amount then becomes taxable, not just the excess.

Client entertaining is not tax deductible.

Gifts to staff are tax deductible and do not create a benefit in kind to the employee provided that they are “trivial”. This would normally be a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine at Christmas.

Gifts to clients are generally not tax deductible unless the gift has a conspicuous advertisement, cost no more than £50 per person per year, and are not food, drink, tobacco or gift vouchers.
            So no gifting yourself £150 in Amazon vouchers.

Comment

Actually, isn't it £150 per person, where the maximum number of people allowed is equal to the total number of employees / directors plus a guest each?

Therefore, if you had two company directors, the total number of people allowed would be 4, making the total amount available equal to £600.

The only questionable decision would be whether you class a director as an employee?

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
                Actually, isn't it £150 per person, where the maximum number of people allowed is equal to the total number of employees / directors plus a guest each?

Therefore, if you had two company directors, the total number of people allowed would be 4, making the total amount available equal to £600.

The only questionable decision would be whether you class a director as an employee?
                No - if you are a director (but NOT an employee), then you aren't invited. It has to be an employee, and all employees have to be invited.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                  Had a meal last week and I put mine through with January expenses with no questions raised by accountant, my understanding is that its a yearly allowance for employees (myself and co secretary ie;wife)and cannot be over the £150 a head

I am sure someone will be along in a moment to right my wrongs
                  Just because there are no questions raised by your accountant, that doesn't mean that it's correct, though

I'm not saying (s)he is right or wrong in this instance, but I'd be wary of just thinking "oh, the accountant says it's fine, therefore HMRC will agree with them"
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                    indeed. perhaps an annual bash at co's year-end would be in order then instead of an exmas "party". for me that will most likely be whilst on holiday in the summer. excellent idea. a most excellent idea.
                    As long as you aren't claiming a meal while in Barbados, then you should be OK - I wouldn't want to try and claim it if it was away from home.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      As long as you aren't claiming a meal while in Barbados, then you should be OK - I wouldn't want to try and claim it if it was away from home.
                      Ohh you can be so Bah Humbag FaQQer!!! chillax and smile for post or two
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X