• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just been offered a contract in Germany...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just been offered a contract in Germany...

I have just been offered a contract in Germany. I will be splitting my time between the UK and Germany for the first 3 months or so and then working remotely for the remainder of the contract. The agency want me to use an umbrella company so I can be 'compliant'. They have been fairly flexible so far and I think if I can put their doubts to rest they might let me invoice another way. Am I able to invoice the agency directly from my UK company?

If the contract is with your UK company - yes of course.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

What do I say to the agency if they try to be difficult?

Comment

Originally posted by spudbynight View Post
        Ram it, popeye.

Alternatively, you could tell them that you work through a UK based company and will continue to do so, even whilst on temporary assignment in Germany.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

'Cya!!'
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            'Cya!!'
            I would love to but I really want this contract. It is in a small town in Germany that I want to be in - all to do with a girl who is contracting at the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Ram it, popeye.
              As an aside did you know that popeye is now copyright free?

Comment

I would love to but I really want this contract. It is in a small town in Germany that I want to be in - all to do with a girl who is contracting at the same place.

If you want to move out there the picture changes considerably - search CUK for working in Germany.

If you are working remotely from the UK for the majority of the time then point out to the agency that you are a UK ltd co and will invoice as such as it is a business transaction.
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Only work through your UK company temporarily (up to 6 months), otherwise the German VAT man might just pay you a visit, closely followed by the Tax Inspector.

If you choose an Umbrella, don't use one that employs you and then splits the income. Only use an Umbrella that effectively sets you up as a "Freiberufler". If they pay a small part of your income as an employee, then it is most likely illegal.

Check the "Germany....the tax man cometh" thread to read about agencies and management co's shafting contractors. If you're not careful the wrong solution maybe worse than not working at all.

If you intend to stay longer than 6 months go "native", i.e. become a "Freiberufller(Freelancer)" and use a company that does it for you or cheaper and often better a local tax advisor (Steuerberater). You can sort that out when you get there, and don't worry about registration, a freelancer doesn't register anything, you simply bill the customer as a private individual, just advisable to have a separate business account. The only thing you are obliged to do is fill out and submit VAT returns on a monthly basis. Very simple forms to fill out, though I would recommend using a "Steuerberater".
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 January 2010, 11:50.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks all - agency were fine. I am going to work through my company for the first 6 months and then play it by ear. Can anyone recommend a Steuerberater?

Just as an aside I spoke with a couple of umbrella companies and the money they charge is bonkers. One of them wanted 9% - another wanted 6% to just run payroll. I would have to pay accountancy fees on top of that. I am in the wrong business!

Comment

Working...
                    X