• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Just been offered a contract in Germany..."

Collapse

• Tarquin Farquhar
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Payroll! do they mean employee? If so forget it, and then they take 9%. Yup you can most certainly get this done via a Steuerberater, for a great deal less.

Seems like you have a longterm aim here. I would just go native to be honest. Tax rates in Germany not a lot different to the UK, and you avoid any potential pitfalls like the German authorities deciding you should have been paying VAT from the outset.

Oh no just realised you're doing this through a UK agency co.....oh <throws hands up in despair> VAT becomes horribly complicated.

In the future go through a German agency, makes life a lot lot easier. You can easily find the same contracts advertised in Germany.
    That sounds like good sense, I'll bear it in mind for the future

Right now, I may have a contract in Germany. I hope it will be long-term, and I do want to stay there. But it is with a UK agency. Assuming I don't just shaft the agency, what are my options? I do want to rent a flat there right from the start, so no stealth stuff.

Can I work the first 6 months through my Ltd Co and then get a new contract as a Freiberufler? What about VAT in that first 6 months?

Or should I wait till (if) I get the contract, then break the bad news to the agency that I will not work as a UK Ltd, on thr grounds that he probably won't abandon it when he has already virtually pocketed his money, and if he does then I'll proceed without him?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Nope Gulp is it. If it aint on it don't exist, just keep pressing the refresh button.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You can easily find the same contracts advertised in Germany.
    I only know of gulp.de at the moment.......any other job boards or sources please?
    Last edited by Olly; 13 May 2013, 17:39.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Payroll! do they mean employee? If so forget it, and then they take 9%. Yup you can most certainly get this done via a Steuerberater, for a great deal less.

Seems like you have a longterm aim here. I would just go native to be honest. Tax rates in Germany not a lot different to the UK, and you avoid any potential pitfalls like the German authorities deciding you should have been paying VAT from the outset.

Oh no just realised you're doing this through a UK agency co.....oh <throws hands up in despair> VAT becomes horribly complicated.

In the future go through a German agency, makes life a lot lot easier. You can easily find the same contracts advertised in Germany.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 January 2010, 16:51.

Leave a comment:

• spudbynight
    replied
    Thanks all - agency were fine. I am going to work through my company for the first 6 months and then play it by ear. Can anyone recommend a Steuerberater?

Just as an aside I spoke with a couple of umbrella companies and the money they charge is bonkers. One of them wanted 9% - another wanted 6% to just run payroll. I would have to pay accountancy fees on top of that. I am in the wrong business!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Only work through your UK company temporarily (up to 6 months), otherwise the German VAT man might just pay you a visit, closely followed by the Tax Inspector.

If you choose an Umbrella, don't use one that employs you and then splits the income. Only use an Umbrella that effectively sets you up as a "Freiberufler". If they pay a small part of your income as an employee, then it is most likely illegal.

Check the "Germany....the tax man cometh" thread to read about agencies and management co's shafting contractors. If you're not careful the wrong solution maybe worse than not working at all.

If you intend to stay longer than 6 months go "native", i.e. become a "Freiberufller(Freelancer)" and use a company that does it for you or cheaper and often better a local tax advisor (Steuerberater). You can sort that out when you get there, and don't worry about registration, a freelancer doesn't register anything, you simply bill the customer as a private individual, just advisable to have a separate business account. The only thing you are obliged to do is fill out and submit VAT returns on a monthly basis. Very simple forms to fill out, though I would recommend using a "Steuerberater".
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 January 2010, 11:50.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by spudbynight View Post
    I would love to but I really want this contract. It is in a small town in Germany that I want to be in - all to do with a girl who is contracting at the same place.

If you want to move out there the picture changes considerably - search CUK for working in Germany.

If you are working remotely from the UK for the majority of the time then point out to the agency that you are a UK ltd co and will invoice as such as it is a business transaction.

Leave a comment:

• spudbynight
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Ram it, popeye.
    As an aside did you know that popeye is now copyright free?

Leave a comment:

• spudbynight
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    'Cya!!'
    I would love to but I really want this contract. It is in a small town in Germany that I want to be in - all to do with a girl who is contracting at the same place.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    What do I say to the agency if they try to be difficult?
    'Cya!!'

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Ram it, popeye.

Alternatively, you could tell them that you work through a UK based company and will continue to do so, even whilst on temporary assignment in Germany.

Leave a comment:

• spudbynight
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    If the contract is with your UK company - yes of course.

Leave a comment:

• spudbynight
    started a topic Just been offered a contract in Germany...

Just been offered a contract in Germany...

I have just been offered a contract in Germany. I will be splitting my time between the UK and Germany for the first 3 months or so and then working remotely for the remainder of the contract. The agency want me to use an umbrella company so I can be 'compliant'. They have been fairly flexible so far and I think if I can put their doubts to rest they might let me invoice another way. Am I able to invoice the agency directly from my UK company?

Working...
X