• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mileage - sharing a car with my partner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage - sharing a car with my partner

My partner drives to work and claims 40p per mile.

To save me driving aswell, she drops me to my work which is on the way to hers. She has to pass it anyway every day.

We both have Ltd companies but can i also claim the 40p per mile based on the fact i would/should actually be driving, but sharing makes it a bit easier.

If we can both claim 40p then great

The other option is to pay my partner say £5 per day to cover travel expenses, would i then be able to claim this £5 myself as travelling expesnes even thought its only going to my partner and not a cab firm as such?

Seriously? Pretty sure you can't claim the expense or any part of it twice, however you do it.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by chrisl View Post
      We both have Ltd companies but can i also claim the 40p per mile based on the fact i would/should actually be driving, but sharing makes it a bit easier.
      Don't be silly. Only one of you is incurring any expense. If you were both working away and sharing a hotel room, would you expect to be able to claim the cost of that twice? Would you expect to claim for each other's dinner?

Originally posted by chrisl View Post
      The other option is to pay my partner say £5 per day to cover travel expenses, would i then be able to claim this £5 myself as travelling expesnes even thought its only going to my partner and not a cab firm as such?
      Surely your partner would have to declare that as income? It all sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Don't be silly. Only one of you is incurring any expense. If you were both working away and sharing a hotel room, would you expect to be able to claim the cost of that twice? Would you expect to claim for each other's dinner?

Surely your partner would have to declare that as income? It all sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth.
        lol, well you state exactly what i was thinking but thought i would check opinions anyway.

Comment

You can claim 5p a mile.

http://www.sjdaccountancy.com/about/..._expenses.html
          Loopy Loo

Comment

Personally, I'd claim it as well. After all, who's to know?

Comment

WHS but...........

I would still be a tad cautious and make sure my a**e is covered in the following areas.....

1. You actually own 2 cars!
              2. You do enough miles to cover this. Claiming 10k miles when ur car has done 5k not good.
              3. You have enough petrol reciepts to cover said mileage

with those covered there is very little chance of getting found out, granted even without these chances of u getting found out or pretty slim but even if u do with these ur covered.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X