• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accounts question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accounts question

Deleted
    Last edited by Archangel; 14 August 2009, 14:05. Reason: Flounce

FFS! If you don't know that, just why are you looking to buy - and presumably operate - a business?

Trade debtors are people you've sold things to who haven't paid you. Trade creditors are suppliers you haven't paid yet. Other creditors and accruals (not accruels...) are provisions for bills you know are coming but haven't been presented yet, like wages, bank charges and so on.

On those numbers, and given your apparent skill level, walk very quickly in the opposite direction...

HTH
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You can't even be sure all those trade debtors will pay up or that you could sell the stock if you had to.

Stock can potentially be a nightmare. Valuation in accounts will usually be based on cost price but HMRC may not accept that basis if you have to close the company, rather insisting on a commercial valuation.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 14 August 2009, 13:14.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

PS By the same token it could sell for a lot more of course. You need to make a judgement about the commercial value of the stock.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Last edited by Archangel; 14 August 2009, 14:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
            So has the business borrowed 100,000 worth of stuff from trade creditors, retained 30,000 in stock, sold 30,000 worth to trade debtors at cost and the other 40,000 has disappeared?
            Not disappeared so much, more like been spent on the operating costs of trying to prop up a failing business.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Not disappeared so much, more like been spent on the operating costs of trying to prop up a failing business.
              I think you are correct Mr P.
              Last edited by Archangel; 14 August 2009, 14:06. Reason: flounced

Comment

Working...
              X