• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract coming to an end, "gardening leave" and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract coming to an end, "gardening leave" and IR35

Curious situation with a long standing contract coming to an end.

Work is a little patchy but my client tells me that they would like me to start on a new project in October. That leaves September to fill.

They don't want to "let me go" as I am particularly in demand for the new project.

Fine with me as I could do with a holiday. Their permies are offered "gardening leave" in a similar situation and paid.

My options are either to

1. look for extra work for the void period
    2. find another contract and not return
    3. have that holiday and see that is really there on my return
    4. sign a new contract for October and go on holiday etc

Obviously, if they offer an equivalent of "gardening leave" I'll have to make sure that the "powers that be" don't find out for IR35 purposes.

What have others done in the same situation? Has anyone been paid the equivalent of "gardening leave" as a contractor and survived IR35?

The client has always been upfront and honest in the past. I enjoy the work and would like the new project.

if you need the money then take another contract else take the month off

could you use the month to develop something within your business that you could sell yourself ?

small utility progfram, or game for a phone or something ?

could you do with doing some technical training ?
    ... get some new hardware and have a play.

be a business man not an employee

... that's just my opinion

Comment

In a similar situation I charged a retainer fee at a reduced rate and didn't break it down on the contracts or in writing, the contract was simply extended and less days invoiced during the slack period.

It was all negotiated verbally with the client as it worked out well for both companies and I was free to sort out a seperate small project that I had on the back burner at the time.

Comment

Bill them a retainer? That's what lawyers do - at least on the telly....
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Oh Dear - do you want a pension too?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Maybe he wants fries with that too. ;-)
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              My thoughts exactly! And some folk wonder why the get IR35 caught!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Take the month off! Enjoy it. Jeez.

Comment

Thank you. I guess I was more nervous than I thought with the end of this contract.

Comment

Working...
                  X