• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sell my Computer to LTD company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell my Computer to LTD company

Hi There,

I am a self-employed contractor.

I bought my laptop in Nov-07 for £700. I registered my company in Feb-08. Can I sell the laptop to my company and claim £700 or will there be any depreciation in the value of the laptop.

And I want to buy one more new computer on Company's name now. Can I keep 2 computers at a time? Laptop is for mobile purposes and Business PC is for non-mobile purposes at office?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Goodmans

Yes, yes and yes.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well, sort of. You should knock a bit off the price since it isn't new, but no more than £50 or so; it won't havbe lost much value in three months.

As for anything you buy as the company, the only rule is that it should be "wholly and exclusively" for the use of the business (so no plasma screen TVs for the bedroom). It's your business, you decide how it spends its funds. Just don't ever mix up company money and assets with your money and assets...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Well, sort of. You should knock a bit off the price since it isn't new, but no more than £50 or so; it won't havbe lost much value in three months.

I thought you could fully expense anything exclusively for the company use bought up to 6 months prior to the company being formed.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
          I thought you could fully expense anything exclusively for the company use bought up to 6 months prior to the company being formed.
          You can, if it was. In the OP's case, I suspect it wasn't; I'm betting it gor personal use before the company was in existence.

It's a fine point, to be fair, and I doubt anyone would actually complain, but equally there's no point in breaking rules to save silly money.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodmans View Post
            Hi There,

I am a self-employed contractor.
            Self-employed? Cool...
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Sorry is there something wrong with the Phrase "self-employed contractor" . Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rgds,

Comment

Originally posted by Goodmans View Post
                And I want to buy one more new computer on Company's name now. Can I keep 2 computers at a time? Laptop is for mobile purposes and Business PC is for non-mobile purposes at office?
                Yep. Just make sure it is an office PC.

You'd have a hard time jusifying it if HMRC found it in the kids bedroom or it was a gaming PC. If you really mean "i want a second pc for m family and I want to get the VAT back" then the answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  Yep. Just make sure it is an office PC.

You'd have a hard time jusifying it if HMRC found it in the kids bedroom or it was a gaming PC. If you really mean "i want a second pc for m family and I want to get the VAT back" then the answer is no.
                  The joys of running a GSP as Plan B. I have to be able to log onto all the servers to check everything is working correctly, therefore my business machine needs to be capable of running certain games, and they also need to be installed

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

As for anything you buy as the company, the only rule is that it should be "wholly and exclusively" for the use of the business (so no plasma screen TVs for the bedroom). It's your business, you decide how it spends its funds. Just don't ever mix up company money and assets with your money and assets...
                    Only for the office.
                    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X