• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sell my Computer to LTD company"

Collapse

• THEPUMA
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Wrong, strictly speaking. As I said earlier, this is only true if you bought the laptop purely for the business in advance of setting up the business: effectively the transaction is then an expense claim. Nothing wrong with that of course, and Hector would have a really fun time proving a recently acquired laptop was not bought on that basis - one that's two years old though...

Otherwise you are simply selling something you own already to a limited company and unless you are registered for VAT yourself, there is no VAT in the sale, hence nothing to reclaim.
    Sorry I don't mean to pick on you Mal, really I don't!

But you are allowed to reclaim VAT on assets bought for your business within 3 years of VAT registration which you have not sold at the date of registration.

I think the question is whether the asset is used in the business once it has started rather than the original intention when the asset was purchased as otherwise the 3 year allowance seems particularly generous.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by Goodmans View Post
    Are you sure that it is 12% for the first year. I thought its 13% for every year.

Regards,
    Goodmans
    See section 4.5 Reduction of 1% for new VAT registrations

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ent#P145_12610

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Wrong, strictly speaking. As I said earlier, this is only true if you bought the laptop purely for the business in advance of setting up the business: effectively the transaction is then an expense claim. Nothing wrong with that of course, and Hector would have a really fun time proving a recently acquired laptop was not bought on that basis - one that's two years old though...

Otherwise you are simply selling something you own already to a limited company and unless you are registered for VAT yourself, there is no VAT in the sale, hence nothing to reclaim.
    Yes I agree that a laptop bought more than a few months beforehand would be a problem. You are quite correct.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Essentially, the company purchased the laptop but you paid for it. The company reimburses you what you paid, then reclaims the VAT. No problem at all. This is how a real business works.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    One more small doubt. What about the VAT that I have paid for my laptop. Will I be able to claim it as a LTD company?. As a LTD company I cant claim it from myself as a individual person. I dont know its bit tricky to my mind.

Me and my wife are using this laptop for complete business purpose because I already got one more computer for my home purpose.
    Essentially, the company purchased the laptop but you paid for it. The company reimburses you what you paid, then reclaims the VAT. No problem at all. This is how a real business works.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    You'd have a hard time jusifying it if HMRC found it in the kids bedroom or it was a gaming PC. If you really mean "i want a second pc for m family and I want to get the VAT back" then the answer is no.
    And how would HMRC find this out? What a ridiculous comment.

A second PC for a real business is hardly an issue, is it?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Not strictly relevant but you can also claim capital allowances on privately owned items used for business and do not have to transfer it. Do a search on HMRC website.

Leave a comment:

• Goodmans
    replied
    Thanks a lot guys. I am not bothered to claim the VAT on the computer that I am selling to my LTD company dont want to confuse Tax man.

Yes. I am registered to VAT. I am an IT consultant. And my company is registered under IT category.

Are you sure that it is 12% for the first year. I thought its 13% for every year.

Regards,
    Goodmans

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Thanks for your replies,

One more small doubt. What about the VAT that I have paid for my laptop. Will I be able to claim it as a LTD company?. As a LTD company I cant claim it from myself as a individual person. I dont know its bit tricky to my mind.

Me and my wife are using this laptop for complete business purpose because I already got one more computer for my home purpose.

Thanks
    You (personally) will not have charged YourCo VAT on the sale, so how can you recover it? You can reclaim the VAT only if the laptop was originally bought solely for company use. And strictly speaking, if you are selling YourCo an asset you bought personally you should take off the VAT from the price you paid originally, although that is another minor detail.

But you're looking at £100 - why risk bending the rules for such a trivial amount?

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Thanks for your replies,

Thanks
    You bought the Laptop for the company, so the VAT is claimable.
    The company is not buying it off you.

You should probably register for Flat Rate Vat (unless you have lots of VAt inclusive purchases to make).

basically you charge the client (or agent as appropriate) 17.5% of your fees in VAT, but you only give the taxman say 13% (12% in first year) ( if an IT provider, rates vary by sector) of the gross amount. Your company pockets this difference and you receive it after paying corp tax on it. You cannot however claim any VAT back (unless you make a capital purchase over £2,000, then you can claim the VAT back).

An simple example:

Your company charges for a week on £400 a day:

Charge the Client or Agent £400 * 5 = £2000
    VAT on £2000 = £350
    Gross charged £2350

Pay to VATman £2350 * 12% = £282

Difference pocketed £68

Multiplied by 46 weeks worked = £3128

Not a bad return for doing very little (other than registering).

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Sorry is there something wrong with the Phrase "self-employed contractor" . Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rgds,
    The term self employed can be confusing.

Most folk on here running limited companies consider themselves Employees of their limited company. (although unless they have a contract of employment they are actaully "office holders")

Self Employed contractors usually have no need for a limited company, but are rare because Agents will not usually deal with the self employed. Clients are usually reticent with dealing with the self employed in case they get hit for unpaid tax & NI.

(there are some folk who are self employed and work as sole traders for their limited company, but this is too complicated to cover in this reply)

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Goodmans
    replied
    Thanks for your replies.

Thanks for your replies,

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Well, sort of. You should knock a bit off the price since it isn't new, but no more than £50 or so; it won't havbe lost much value in three months.

As for anything you buy as the company, the only rule is that it should be "wholly and exclusively" for the use of the business (so no plasma screen TVs for the bedroom). It's your business, you decide how it spends its funds. Just don't ever mix up company money and assets with your money and assets...
    Only for the office.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Yep. Just make sure it is an office PC.

You'd have a hard time jusifying it if HMRC found it in the kids bedroom or it was a gaming PC. If you really mean "i want a second pc for m family and I want to get the VAT back" then the answer is no.
    The joys of running a GSP as Plan B. I have to be able to log onto all the servers to check everything is working correctly, therefore my business machine needs to be capable of running certain games, and they also need to be installed

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    And I want to buy one more new computer on Company's name now. Can I keep 2 computers at a time? Laptop is for mobile purposes and Business PC is for non-mobile purposes at office?
    Yep. Just make sure it is an office PC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X