• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Time to fight back!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    1000th post ... and I have never been able to work out what this thread is about.
    There is a company called montpelier who operate from IOM. Alot of people used it to minimize the tax they pay. HMRC was going to put 4 cases before commissioners last year - but decided they would lose. So put bn66 through parliament instead. This closes the scheme - but applies the legislation retrospectively back to 1987.

montpelier aren't very communicative, so alot of people exchange information about the scheme here. this is unfortunate as it is a public forum - so HMRC can read what people think.

hello Mr Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Presumably by loan you mean the 4%? Since April 2008 the montpelier thing has turned into a loan scheme.

And did you pay?
      What kind of loan is it now (and what was it before)?
      And why would Bolshie have had to "pay it back"?

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
        What kind of loan is it now (and what was it before)?
        And why would Bolshie have had to "pay it back"?
        Bit of confusion here. The new scheme is based on loans. The old scheme was not.

The loan Bolshie is talking about was part of MontP's fee (4%) which was only payable if HMRC did not challenge an SA return.

HMRC didn't catch everyone initially and some people got their returns opened retrospectively beyond the Jan 31 deadline, by which time MontP had already called in the loan. These people are naturally a bit pissed that they had to pay the whole fee to MontP even though they are now under investigation.

MontP have agreed to refund the 4% if they lose the case.

Comment

DR - thanks for the info.

Can I ask what kind of loan it is now in the new scheme?
          Is the loan ever repaid, or does it always remain as a BIK on the Tax Return?

A loan that is never repaid is definately going to be seen as taxable income by HMRC.

I'm quite keen to understand why MP believe this new scheme will hold up against HMRC, seeing as HMRC have the amazing ability to travel back in time now. Also, MP are now on the radar and will always be watched.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
            Can I ask what kind of loan it is now in the new scheme?
            I think MP is giving you guys some loans so that you can sort out your payments to the HMRC next month. . Then MP will give time to repay the loan.. at 10 %.

I am hit too.

Comment

Partnership Accounts

I received a copy of my Partnership Accounts yesterday...apparently they've already been filed so its too late to check they are correct...will let you know what I think....

Comment

Originally posted by TheGadgetMan View Post
                I received a copy of my Partnership Accounts yesterday...apparently they've already been filed so its too late to check they are correct...will let you know what I think....
                Where did you hear that?

I just asked - no accounts have been filed yet!

check away and get back to us/mp....

Comment

Initial Letter from HMRC following Royal Assent

Received a communication from Mr B today, informing me the Bill was now law and to expect a 'closure notice'. Also mentioned something about 'jeopardy assessments' being raised to 'protect the interest of HMRC'. Anyone know more about these?

Comment

Yeah, I got a letter too.

Mr Brannigan, if youre reading this would you mind translating into plain English?

Looks like I cant add attachments to posts or I would put the letter up here.
                    Last edited by SantaClaus; 24 July 2008, 11:46.
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Just heard from mp - obviously they have been contacted by loads of people! mp are in discussion with tax counsel - hope for formal response tomorrow!

DONT PANIC!!! :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X