• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Time to fight back!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Parliament's authority on a budget finance bill, amendment or associated Statutory Instrument, is supreme. Not even the House of Lords, the highest court in the land can overturn a budget bill which BN 66 is.

Hence my reluctance to believe a judicial challenge will sway the government.
    Then why would montp bother? Why spend money on something they can't win? Those I have spoken to at montp seem confident.

Comment

Originally posted by arandomname View Post
      That seems to be an annoying feature for noob posters - our messages have to be approved before being posted but still go out with the timestamp when they were submitted, so a delay in being approved can mean the message disappears in previous pages.
      Very true. Also alot of newbies have trouble PMing - one was switched on to allow PMing which then switched off when they became "normal" members.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Then why would montp bother? Why spend money on something they can't win? Those I have spoken to at montp seem confident.
        Because as long as they are seen to be fighting their corner they are getting your fees?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Norla

Hi,
          Norla use a EBT (trustees) scheme. I'm not sure whether this is a 'partnership' scheme like MP but I presume it is. I was presuming all EBT schemes were using the DTA 'loophole' but I may be wrong. Will be getting in touch with them to find out today.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Because as long as they are seen to be fighting their corner they are getting your fees?
            that assumes that montp members are not bothered the sceme has changed. personally I consider the old and new schemes as totally seperate - and I dont like the new scheme(plus 2.5 years exposure large enough plus my personal risk profile different from 2 years ago).

though I accept some will stay with montp - whatever the scheme - until such time as montp lose(if they lose). in fact there could be more like that than are like me. hopefully this thread will educate a few as to what is going on - bearing in mind that little official information comes out of montp.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwinlondon View Post
              I'll be surprised if anyone gets any letter for the next few months....
              Well I received my first letter from Mr Brannigan, saying we know you were in the scheme, can you resubmit your SA for 2006/7

I have responded with a letter that was provided to me from my scheme provider (twentyplus) and so shall await to see what's next.

My view is I am standing firm, and twentyplus have been reasonably pro-active throughout this.
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                Well I received my first letter from Mr Brannigan, saying we know you were in the scheme, can you resubmit your SA for 2006/7

I have responded with a letter that was provided to me from my scheme provider (twentyplus) and so shall await to see what's next.

My view is I am standing firm, and twentyplus have been reasonably pro-active throughout this.
                Do twentyplus use MontP? What did the letter say about resubmitting the 2006/7 SA?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  Do twentyplus use MontP? What did the letter say about resubmitting the 2006/7 SA?
                  No Twentyplus use De Graff, can't remember the exact words. Can PM you later if you like
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Parliament's authority on a budget finance bill, amendment or associated Statutory Instrument, is supreme. Not even the House of Lords, the highest court in the land can overturn a budget bill which BN 66 is.

Hence my reluctance to believe a judicial challenge will sway the government.
                    I'm not sure that's right. Certainly you cannot JR primary legislation which the finance act is - but surely BN66 is implemented as a statutory instrument which can be JR'd (even though it relates to the finance act). I seem to recall this is the process by which PCG got the JR on the original IR35 implementation.

It may be that now the SI has been implemented in the now passed 2008 Finance Act the opportunity for JR has passed.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                      No Twentyplus use De Graff, can't remember the exact words. Can PM you later if you like
                      Yes would be interested.

Presumably, like MontP, they have changed the arrangement going forward?

Comment

Working...
                      X