• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unacceptable aggression on CUK

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Not a healthy attutude to take.

There is a person on this forum who is had got an interview from my current client - personally I would not entertaining doing the same for you with theh attitude you are giving to people.

Forums are often not seen as the real world. How wrong and short sighted - this is a networking arena for what we do as a living, not just some forum over a hobby.
    Firstly, I choose not to network on here. I could do, but I prefer to remain anonymous and keep it for other purposes, as I do more than fine elsewhere. You don't even know what my skills are, and I don't propose on ever discussing it, or other personal information, here. I don't see networking here as particularly useful. If I wanted to network I would be better off spending my time on technical stuff, not answering questions on how to fiddle the taxman.

Secondly, I don't give people attitude on here, I have 300 posts on here which are sensible, and one flame of a single person who ignored what everyone was advising and then gave me grief for actually giving him his answer.

Finally, this thread seems to be deteriorating, but I don't see correlation between people's comments on here and their real-world attitude. We are all working in IT, and anyone that didn't learn last century that people are blunter to each other on the internet than they would be in person, then I think those people need to grow a thicker skin and realise how things work in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
      Is this your cheap attempt to discredit me to justify your own aggressive attitude on here toward newbies?

That's one of the reasons I put up this thread. To get people to think about how they come across. The last thing I would want to see is an overmoderated forum like you get on the PCG for which you are obviously a fan.

I really think you need to take time out and explain what you are talking about.

Since you are acting as The Prosecution, so to speak, could you point to a few threads - some evidence - of this aggressive attitude ?

And then people can judge for themselves what attitude it is that people are talking about. Because this seems to me to be very abstract at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post

Finally, this thread seems to be deteriorating, .
        I think it's run its course as well now that its decended into personal attacks on me by PCG representatives and other trite responses to what has been posted by others. I doubt that anyone would have anything more constructive to add to it.

Comment

I really think you need to take time out and explain what you are talking about.

Since you are acting as The Prosecution, so to speak, could you point to a few threads - some evidence - of this aggressive attitude ?

And then people can judge for themselves what attitude it is that people are talking about. Because this seems to me to be very abstract at the moment.
          Use the search button, all the information is there.

Comment

so basically this was a 9 page waste of time about a single thread.

ho hum.

Comment

LOL !!!!
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Firstly, I choose not to network on here. I could do, but I prefer to remain anonymous and keep it for other purposes, as I do more than fine elsewhere. You don't even know what my skills are, and I don't propose on ever discussing it, or other personal information, here. I don't see networking here as particularly useful. If I wanted to network I would be better off spending my time on technical stuff, not answering questions on how to fiddle the taxman.

Secondly, I don't give people attitude on here, I have 300 posts on here which are sensible, and one flame of a single person who ignored what everyone was advising and then gave me grief for actually giving him his answer.

Finally, this thread seems to be deteriorating, but I don't see correlation between people's comments on here and their real-world attitude. We are all working in IT, and anyone that didn't learn last century that people are blunter to each other on the internet than they would be in person, then I think those people need to grow a thicker skin and realise how things work in the real world.

Quite a lot of contradictions in there...

"You don't even know what my skills are, and I don't propose on ever discussing it, or other personal information, here."

So the £550+vat a day you get for playing hide the soap with the local 5-a-side football team isn't classified information then is it not?

"If I wanted to network I would be better off spending my time on technical stuff, not answering questions on how to fiddle the taxman."

Why answer 'newbie' questions then?

"....I think those people need to grow a thicker skin and realise how things work in the real world." leading on to "...and one flame of a single person who ignored what everyone was advising and then gave me grief for actually giving him his answer."

Take your own advice and grow thicker skin then!

Plus...

"so basically this was a 9 page waste of time about a single thread."

Well actually no it wasn't a waste of time, I managed to compile a list of people to add to the ignore list within the forum settings under user account.

Also - - capital letter at the beginning of sentences!!
                Last edited by chris79; 17 February 2008, 23:45.
                The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                  Quite a lot of contradictions in there...

"You don't even know what my skills are, and I don't propose on ever discussing it, or other personal information, here."

So the £550+vat a day you get for playing hide the soap with the local 5-a-side football team isn't classified information then is it not?

"If I wanted to network I would be better off spending my time on technical stuff, not answering questions on how to fiddle the taxman."

Why answer 'newbie' questions then?

"....I think those people need to grow a thicker skin and realise how things work in the real world." leading on to "...and one flame of a single person who ignored what everyone was advising and then gave me grief for actually giving him his answer."

Take your own advice and grow thicker skin then!

Plus...

"so basically this was a 9 page waste of time about a single thread."

Well actually no it wasn't a waste of time, I managed to compile a list of people to add to the ignore list within the forum settings under user account

Also - - capital letter at the beginning of sentences!!
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I think it's run its course as well now that its decended into personal attacks on me by PCG representatives and other trite responses to what has been posted by others. I doubt that anyone would have anything more constructive to add to it.
                    It's not a personal attack at all, it's a correction of incorrect information. I'm not a PCG representative, merely someone who is not going to stand by and let distortions of the truth go unchallenged. As for the PCG's moderation rules, since I wrote the original draft of them, I am not about to argue their intent here except to say that they are a lot less restrictive than the ones that went before and are predicated on people behaving like grown-ups and not hiding behind a rigid rule book.

And guess what - they actually work very well indeed, the only people that get banned are those who cannot abide by the rules of civilised discourse: even then it's for two days, conditional on them agreeing to follow the guidelines. If you were badly treated, or thought your ban was a wrong application of the Ts&Cs you could (and still can) easily appeal the decision and been heard under a defined process: that you chose not to but prefer to keep shouting about how you were unfairly banned for being the only person out of 16,000 who is allowed to be right rather blows your position out of the water, doesn't it.

And finally I think this thread has neatly proved one thing - some people are too thin-skinned to be allowed to participate in an open, anonymous forum. If you don't like the attitude, then tough - the posts are here to be read, as are the responses. It won't take much effort to work out how the board works.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Oh for God's sake boys, put your willies back behind your zippers.

This post needs to be put into General now, it has no value in this forum...
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X