• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Losing Receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing Receipts

Now and again when I go through my receipts at the end of the month I discover that I have lost a few smaller receipts, usually for taxi to and from the airport (circa £20 each way).

If I have lost the receipt can I still claim the expense (writing a note in lieu of receipt) for the taxi fare and just staple it to the taxi business card? Or is this a not allowed?

Originally posted by oxtailsoup View Post
    Now and again when I go through my receipts at the end of the month I discover that I have lost a few smaller receipts, usually for taxi to and from the airport (circa £20 each way).

If I have lost the receipt can I still claim the expense (writing a note in lieu of receipt) for the taxi fare and just staple it to the taxi business card? Or is this a not allowed?
    Not sure of the full legals, but if you can provide another proof of purchase like a CC slip or a cheque then it shouldn't be a problem. However, if it was a cash transaction and you don't have a receipt there is no audit trail and strictly speaking you shouldn't claim it.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Same here. I lost 2 reciepts. 1 small (£10) 1 large (£200).

The advice from the accountant was claim as an expense as they were both on CC statements and ovbious (staples and insight) plus I printed out the on-line receipts.

He did however say not to claim the VAT as you had no VAT receipt for them.

Works for me.

Comment

Unfortunately mine were just cash to the taxi drivers.

The taxi driver gave me a number of blank taxi receipts this morning because he knows he takes me to the airport most weeks.

The thing is that if I look at the past receipts they are almost illegible, they are hardly ever filled out properly (i.e. to/from, date etc). Most just have the amount scribbled on.

Comment

Write loads of them out left handed - using different pens - jobs a good un

Comment

The advice I have had from my account on loosing receipts for cash purchases was to claim them anyway, but as said above they can't be used for VAT calculations.

As long as it is not a regular thing, and not for massive ammounts HMRC expect that a few receipts will get lost now and then.

Comment

If you do get an investigation, IR really don't have time to go through umpteen receipts for small items. Even if they did notice and if it was a reasonable expense (especially if other items show you did actually go the airport etc.) I cannot imagine they would be bothered, they are not that anal. It is the big stuff they want to screw you on.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
                The advice I have had from my account on loosing receipts for cash purchases was to claim them anyway, but as said above they can't be used for VAT calculations.

As long as it is not a regular thing, and not for massive ammounts HMRC expect that a few receipts will get lost now and then.
                There's no VAT on Taxi travel so surely VAT doesn't arise in this case?

Comment

There's also the argument that if they find some small things, they'll go away happy. If everything is perfect, they'll be suspicious and really dig.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I claim it, and document it that I'm missing the receipt.

If you're on FRS then you don't need to worry about the VAT. If you're not, then you shouldn't claim the VAT back without a VAT receipt.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X