• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Use of client's equipment ie laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to paste a link, but it looks like the forum iphone app won't let me. Google "BYOD" (Bring Your Own Device). It's only scary to dinosaurs and banks. Also probably NASA.

Comment

Originally posted by dty View Post
      I was going to paste a link, but it looks like the forum iphone app won't let me. Google "BYOD" (Bring Your Own Device). It's only scary to dinosaurs and banks. Also probably NASA.
      BYOD is scary. End of. The only way it works is to allow your device to be subject to the company's security processes, anti-virus toolset and network security client applications, or to allow them to load something like MobileIron so a segregated part of your device becomes effectively a company one with no connection between that area and your own apps and data.

If you think any company is going to allow you to plug random kit on to their corporate WAN without some measure of protection under their control, it's you that's the dinosaur.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If you read the detail about BYOD it will be backed up by some pretty tight policies that everyone and anyone using it will be subject to. IT and securities policies, just like H&S are company wide. They are not just for empolyees.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          If you think any company is going to allow you to plug random kit on to their corporate WAN without some measure of protection under their control, it's you that's the dinosaur.
          I've done it, including at an ex-gov corporate outfit, with the client's knowledge and acceptance. I guess that makes me a living dinosaur.

As for IR35 it only really has any value if you are *required* to provide your own tools.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            I don't *think* they will, I *know* they will. And a previous permie employer did too.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks once I've started the gig (assuming it doesn't evaporate in the mean time), but I already know what the report will be. And, of course, nothing I say will convince the disbelievers that I'm not simply making it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
              I've done it, including at an ex-gov corporate outfit, with the client's knowledge and acceptance. I guess that makes me a living dinosaur.

As for IR35 it only really has any value if you are *required* to provide your own tools.
              Ex-gov? I'm impressed. Of course, nobody is going to believe you're telling the truth because, as I'm learning more and more each day, if your version of reality doesn't match theirs then you are simply wrong/lying.

As for IR35, I didn't personally make any IR35 claims. That said, my contract specifically says the Supplier will provide the IT equipment.

Comment

I dint believe you are making up but I think you are wrong to assume a clients IT policy applies to permies and not you. If anything the policies to apply more to temp resources over who they have less control. There is the situation that they really don't have one or care about implementing it in which case someone at client co wants shooting.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

See the PM I sent you.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I dint believe you are making up but I think you are wrong to assume a clients IT policy applies to permies and not you. If anything the policies to apply more to temp resources over who they have less control. There is the situation that they really don't have one or care about implementing it in which case someone at client co wants shooting.
                    Of course if all you are doing is cutting code and have no access to real data, corporate intranets and other material, and aren't working for a client with any concept of risk management or have nothing higher than IL0, then just perhaps he may be right. There are some awfully dumb clients out there you know.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I agree with this.

However, to imply that no client will allow you to put your own kit on their network is absolutely false. It may be rare (almost all my previous clients have said no when I asked), but it's not unknown.

My current client allows me to use my own equipment - I had to accept their IT security policy, but I use my own kit. A previous client allowed the same - I only took my laptop with me for something to do in the evenings, and they said "oh good, plug your laptop in and get to work". Thankfully, I'd already installed the development tools on there, when I was playing around with the new machine.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X