• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Use of client's equipment ie laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stonecircle View Post
    Has anyone tried P2Ving a client laptop, and running the VM on their own one? On the face, seems a way of ticking an IR35 box while allowing access to client systems.
    Can anyone translate for us non-IT folks? When I understand the question I'll reply on the IR35 bit!
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      Can anyone translate for us non-IT folks? When I understand the question I'll reply on the IR35 bit!
      You convert a real computer into an image. You then open that image on your own computer as a virtual machine. So you are using your own equipment, and then emulating the client equipment on that.

Theoretically, you are using your own equipment, but you'd need client permission to use your own kit on their network. If there was an investigation and HMRC asked the client "did he use a client laptop?" and they say "yes", you then say "a-ha! I was only pretending to use their laptop, I was really using my own!".

The client then goes ape tulip because you've been using your own equipment on their network without permission, and you check your insurance in case they sue you.

It doesn't show anything in terms of MOO, D&C or RoS, though, so is irrelevant in terms of an IR35 investigation.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        "Can I use a faked network address so I can plug my own laptop into the client's protected network without them knowing", which is a clear breach of both the client's policies (probably, and also invalidates both their and his PI insurances) and the Computer Misuse Act (definitely).

IR35 pales into insignificance.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          You convert a real computer into an image. You then open that image on your own computer as a virtual machine. So you are using your own equipment, and then emulating the client equipment on that.

Theoretically, you are using your own equipment, but you'd need client permission to use your own kit on their network. If there was an investigation and HMRC asked the client "did he use a client laptop?" and they say "yes", you then say "a-ha! I was only pretending to use their laptop, I was really using my own!".

The client then goes ape tulip because you've been using your own equipment on their network without permission, and you check your insurance in case they sue you.

It doesn't show anything in terms of MOO, D&C or RoS, though, so is irrelevant in terms of an IR35 investigation.
          Thank you. And totally agree!
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            "Can I use a faked network address so I can plug my own laptop into the client's protected network without them knowing", which is a clear breach of both the client's policies (probably, and also invalidates both their and his PI insurances) and the Computer Misuse Act (definitely).

IR35 pales into insignificance.
            To be pedantic the network address is real and issued by the client and not faked. Just the machine getting it is a clone and not the actual laptop issued.

I take your point though!

Comment

Yes, you should always use your own laptop. Buy your own coffee too, don't even think about using the clients coffee machine. I'd be wary about using their toilet facilities too...you wouldn't want to jeopardise your IR35 status. Only permies take a tulip at work.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                Only permies take a tulip at work.
                Surely one of the most attractive aspects of contacting is knowing that you are getting paid £5 to take a dump on the client's time.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Seems a good way to get walked off site very quickly, if that's the aim. So a feeble IR35 defence at best but not much use for earnings or the next contract.

What does the client system usage policy say; you know, that text you always ignore when you log on...?
                  My clientCo's usage policy says that I'm not allowed to express political or religious opinions originating from their network.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
                    Surely one of the most attractive aspects of contacting is knowing that you are getting paid £5 to take a dump on the client's time.
                    You need to eat more fibre.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

There is only one thing more dangerous IR35 and that appears to be knowing a little bit about IR35. It strikes me you can do more damage knowing a little bit than you can not knowing or caring about it.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X