• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd Co Info on website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd Co Info on website

If I set up a company website what should I include? I've heard a CV is a no no so is it a case of basic contact details and a brief description of what the company actually does or would people recommend I put descriptions of past contracts and professional memberships on there?

I have been looking and found a web company that will register my web address and give me a Pop3 mailbox for £40 PA, the mailbox would be handy to sift out company mail from personal stuff.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi
    If I set up a company website what should I include? I've heard a CV is a no no so is it a case of basic contact details and a brief description of what the company actually does or would people recommend I put descriptions of past contracts and professional memberships on there?

I have been looking and found a web company that will register my web address and give me a Pop3 mailbox for £40 PA, the mailbox would be handy to sift out company mail from personal stuff.
    I started a thread similar to this and ratwhore kindly answered. There is also a link on here somewhere that talks about Microsoft Office Live. This gives you a very basic (basic meaning that it is all templated and you can barely change colours) website and pop email address. The best thing about this is everything is free (domain, website, email) and its quite easy to update from any PC.

Comment

Thanks I'll check it out.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

if you are not technically minded like me

www.easily.co.uk for domain name and e-mail
        www.moonfruit.com and build your own website [ easy - honest ]

Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
          if you are not technically minded like me

www.easily.co.uk for domain name and e-mail
          www.moonfruit.com and build your own website [ easy - honest ]

Funny enough I had my first website effort gingerjedi.com hosted by easily.co.uk it was a bit of an embarrassment with loads of starwars facts and holiday photo's, just a learning project to teach myself HTML really, then I discovered frontpage & dreamweaver, building websites is as easy as drafting a letter these days.

Comment

I'm going to do mine using Joomla:

http://www.joomla.org/

It's a free (GNU) content management thingy. I use a host that has a fantastico control panel which makes it easy to install Joomla and lots of other widgety type things.

If you want a quick easy professional looking site you might find it useful.

If you want some stuff to include you could get some RSS feeds with relevant industry info and aggregate their content on to your site (that's what I'm doing).

Maybe have a description of services you provide etc.
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Understand why you would not put too much personal info due to ID fraud, but why can you not put a CV on a website?
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                Understand why you would not put too much personal info due to ID fraud, but why can you not put a CV on a website?
                no idea but i wouldnt recommend putting a cv on the website. Instead, just show the clients you have worked for and your qualifications/certifications
                Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                  'Cos it doesn't look business like.

I reckon it's horses for courses; I wouldn't say "don't do it" if it's right for you.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On
                    I'm going to do mine using Joomla:

http://www.joomla.org/

It's a free (GNU) content management thingy. I use a host that has a fantastico control panel which makes it easy to install Joomla and lots of other widgety type things.

If you want a quick easy professional looking site you might find it useful.

If you want some stuff to include you could get some RSS feeds with relevant industry info and aggregate their content on to your site (that's what I'm doing).

Maybe have a description of services you provide etc.
                    Joomla's great. I had zero knowledge of building a website but managed to get a great looking site with very little effort.

Comment

Working...
                    X