• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client's control if automatically exempt from IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client's control if automatically exempt from IR35

Hi,

My client is automatically exempt from IR35 because of their company size.

Should I still be cautious about not being controlled by the client in the everyday job or does it not apply anymore?

For example:
    - having to ask the permission to take time off
    - not being able to set my own hours and location
    - being named on the client's organisation chart

Thanks

Originally posted by JazzyFry View Post
    Hi,

Should I still be cautious about not being controlled by the client in the everyday job or does it not apply anymore?

For example:
    - having to ask the permission to take time off
    - not being able to set my own hours and location
    - being named on the client's organisation chart

Thanks
    Well they aren't exempt from IR35 it's just that the contract falls under the old Chapter 8 rather than Chapter 10 rules. And under the Chapter 8 rules it's the contractor who is responsible for the decision and the tax.

And most of those things scream that the contract is inside IR35..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Well they aren't exempt from IR35 it's just that the contract falls under the old Chapter 8 rather than Chapter 10 rules. And under the Chapter 8 rules it's the contractor who is responsible for the decision and the tax.

^^ This.

Which means that the contractor, not the client, is responsible for the determination of IR35 status. Do not be fooled: you're still on the hook.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Ok, thank you.

Fortunately, that list was just a hypothetical example. I do have to request my holiday via their system though. I'll have a chat with the HR.

Comment

Hi,

Yes. I'd suggest getting the contract and working practices reviewed independently.

I do have to request my holiday via their system though.
          That's bonkers! As a third-party supplier there should be no interaction with client's HR systems.
          Last edited by Protagoras; 15 August 2023, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

Yes. I'd suggest getting the contract and working practices reviewed independently.

That's bonkers! As a third-party supplier there should be no interaction with client's HR systems.
            +1 - my current contract is inside IR35 and I don't need to ask for holiday leave - I just announce I'm taking days off and that's it. Equally I give notice if I can because that's just politeness.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Oh dear, you should be dealing with procurement, not HR, and asking permission for time off is laughable. You inform them as a matter of courtesy. Your working practices are most likely inside if those terms are representative. Also, you’d better make doubly sure that they are a small company under the Companies Act 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                ...you should be dealing with procurement, not HR...
                Whilst this would be an ideal scenario, it is highly unlikely to be the case for the majority of contractors. That's just the way it is.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

Whilst this would be an ideal scenario, it is highly unlikely to be the case for the majority of contractors. That's just the way it is.
                  There's nothing wrong with working inside IR35, but dealing with HR is a symptom of a client that thinks you're a bum on seat resource, not a supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

^^ This.

Which means that the contractor, not the client, is responsible for the determination of IR35 status. Do not be fooled: YOU ARE ON THE HOOK.
                    FTFY
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X