• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting through a 2nd Ltd company once profit hits £50k?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting through a 2nd Ltd company once profit hits £50k?

Hi All,

Not great at all this / I'm used to be corrected, but as I've been told, currently Corp Tax was 19% flat rate on all Ltd Company profits. But from 1st Apr profits 19% only applies to up to £50k profits, then 26.5% above.

If available to me, any reason not to:
    stop invoicing clients through first Ltd Company, and then start invoicing through a second Ltd Company, once it gets to the £50k threshold?

Thanks in advance to those more knowledgable!

Well the contract is with the company so you need a new contract for starters.

You also need to do two lots of accounts etc.

Comment

If you control two companies, those tax thresholds are halved...so each company would be in the 26.5% effective/marginal rate from just £25k instead of £50k.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        If you control two companies, those tax thresholds are halved...so each company would be in the 26.5% effective/marginal rate from just £25k instead of £50k.
        That's useful to know, thank you. Based on a quick Google search, I assume this is the concept of associated companies?
        Associated companies and the impact of changes to corporation tax (wellersaccountants.co.uk)

Comment

Originally posted by Contracting101 View Post
          Hi All,

Not great at all this / I'm used to be corrected, but as I've been told, currently Corp Tax was 19% flat rate on all Ltd Company profits. But from 1st Apr profits 19% only applies to up to £50k profits, then 26.5% above.

If available to me, any reason not to:
          stop invoicing clients through first Ltd Company, and then start invoicing through a second Ltd Company, once it gets to the £50k threshold?

Thanks in advance to those more knowledgable!
          Doesn't work. They also brought back the old rules about aggregating profits from related companies for precisely this reason

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

That's useful to know, thank you. Based on a quick Google search, I assume this is the concept of associated companies?
            Associated companies and the impact of changes to corporation tax (wellersaccountants.co.uk)
            Yes.

This will catch out quite a few contractors who mess around with BTL etc.

Comment

Doing anything with your business that is purely for tax reasons with zero business requirement is going to come under scrutiny and this one is about as blatent as it gets I am afraid. It's up there with shutting it every 2 years and claiming relief.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's probably a breach of fiduciary responsibility as well.

Which is not often talked about as no one gets prosecuted for it theses days.
                I haven't met many contractors who have even heard of it.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                X