• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CGT rules and changes - selling a property expected to complete ~1st April

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT rules and changes - selling a property expected to complete ~1st April

My wife and I own a BTL property we are selling for a combined profit of around £50k (before expenses), which we've owned around 5 years and never lived in.
    The changes to CGT coming in for the 22/23 tax year half our tax-free allowance and our likely completion date is right on the cusp of the new year, though we also face a mortgage early redemption penalty of £1k before 31st March when the mortgage discount period ends.

I've not faced CGT before so a couple of queries if anyone wouldn't mind.
    1. The cut in CGT allowance will affect property sales based on the completion date, right? If we had agreed theoretically to complete on 5th April but it slipped a day to 6th due to a last minute bit of paperwork, it would come under 22/23 rules?
    2. CGT is charged at 18/28% depending whether or not you are a high-rate tax payer, but how is that calculated? I believe CGT must be payed within 60 days but if for instance we sold on 6th April, I wouldn't know if I am a HR tax payer in 22/23 until nearer the end of the tax year.
    Is there anything more complicated to watch out for or is CGT fairly straightforward - allowance, flat rate above that, done?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

1) Its based on exchange date not completion

2) i dont know but easily checked online. All straightforward from experience - If memory serves me right you pay it straight away and then redeclare it on your SA but check for procedure rules as they change

CGT being cut to 6.3K from 5 April so a good time to get out

Any chance you can share the rental income and price so a rental yield can be calculated? I am always curious what the break rate is

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
      Any chance you can share the rental income and price so a rental yield can be calculated? I am always curious what the break rate is
      Here he goes again
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
        No not really up to share figures, unless it's relevant to my question. The yield is pretty poor ~4.5% though, which is one reason we are selling.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
        X