• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investing Ltd Co funds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investing Ltd Co funds

Hi CUK,

I intend to ask my accountant next week - but I’d appreciate hearing from others that have invested from their Ltd before.

Is it as easy as signing up to a S&S brokerage in my companies name and depositing / investing into indexes/shares as I please?

I’m going to stop withdrawing from my Ltd Co for a while whilst still working my outside contract, so there’s going to be a decent sized pot building up that I’d like to start investing for the longer term.

There are issues with this.

for a start if your company stops being an IT company and becomes and investment company that’s a new SIC code.

it might also remove the ability to claim BADR when disposing of the company.

I’m no expert on this, but there are plenty of threads.
    Just open a savings account with decent interest. Make it a variable one as interest rates are going up.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Bad time to start buying shares with a recession on the horizon but either way. You might have trouble finding a broker that will take a company account and you'll need to apply for an LEI for the company. You'll also need a W-8BN form to trade American stocks and so on.

Not something I'd be looking in to right now though but them I'm crap at shares.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CS Contracting View Post
        Hi CUK,

Is it as easy as signing up to a S&S brokerage in my companies name and depositing / investing into indexes/shares as I please?

There is normally extra paper worth involved, but nothing onerous. Similar to opening a company bank account. copies of certificate of incorporation etc. Sometime the brokerage wants an extra resolution passed by board.

I have a couple of Ltd company trading accounts..

Go for one of the larger brokerage firms for safety of funds as i don't think you get 85K protection with a limited company like you would as an individual.

Comment

This has been done to death. Learn to search the forums (e.g., using a site-specific search with your favorite search engine).

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
            Go for one of the larger brokerage firms for safety of funds as i don't think you get 85K protection with a limited company like you would as an individual.
            The FSCS is effectively the same for individuals and small businesses, but FSCS is not going to protect you from bad investments.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              There are issues with this.

for a start if your company stops being an IT company and becomes and investment company that’s a new SIC code.

it might also remove the ability to claim BADR when disposing of the company.

I’m no expert on this, but there are plenty of threads.
              Just open a savings account with decent interest. Make it a variable one as interest rates are going up.
              Thanks - I read similar online, my companies profit would still derive from my IT contracts, just the funds aren’t required and investing seems more sensible than keeping the cash in low interest rate account.

Do you know what the distinction would be and when the SIC code would need to change?

similarly, I wouldn’t want to lose the ability of BADR. Ideally I’d like to self sustain from side projects and invest 90% of my outside contract pay for 5/10 years and then utilise BADR for the closure

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Bad time to start buying shares with a recession on the horizon but either way. You might have trouble finding a broker that will take a company account and you'll need to apply for an LEI for the company. You'll also need a W-8BN form to trade American stocks and so on.

Not something I'd be looking in to right now though but them I'm crap at shares.
                Thanks, I’m planning on averaging in each month - so if/when the market sentiment changes in the future, my average cost shouldn’t be previous ATH’s.. who knows though, clearly the risk to either gain or loss.

Thanks for the suggestion re American stocks, I’ll likely keep it simple to UK

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

There is normally extra paper worth involved, but nothing onerous. Similar to opening a company bank account. copies of certificate of incorporation etc. Sometime the brokerage wants an extra resolution passed by board.

I have a couple of Ltd company trading accounts..

Thanks - what brokerages are you using? I’m going to hold off until hearing back from the accountant first, assumed others here would have done similar and could share their experience

Comment

Originally posted by CS Contracting View Post

Thanks - what brokerages are you using? I’m going to hold off until hearing back from the accountant first, assumed others here would have done similar and could share their experience
                    I have an account with Interactive Brokers.

But only because I was trading European and US Futures. If you just want to trade UK stocks there maybe better choices.

Comment

Working...
                    X