• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receipts

Just wondering if people here keep hard copies of all their receiots (not VAT) but just to cooberate ltd co expenditure?

With the advent of tge cloud I stopped doing it - if it's a physical paper receit I scan it in and save it to a folder which then gets backed up to tge cloud. What can go wrong? When your local files get corrupted andvtge sync to the cloud corruptsbthe remote ones too.

Exactly what has hust happened to me.

What to do? Tempted just to go back to the old way and have hard copies of everything and ditch the cloud. Alternatively keep digital but also manually back up to an external drive. What do you do?

I don’t bother with fancy NAS stuff, I just regularly plug in and backup to to a Transcend SSD.

I haven’t saved hard copies for years - I would use FreeAgent for all my receipts.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Still just putting them in FA and putting in a box. Every couple of weeks clip a load together and put in a ring binder. I hear everyone saying they scan it as it's easier but just storing the paper works fine for me.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I scan, file and bin. I also attach the receipt to the relevant transaction in Xero.

My local stuff is synced to OneDrive and I've not had any corruption issues. I also clear the local cache regularly so there's less stored on my laptop/PC which may/may not reduce the chance of local corruption.
        Last edited by ladymuck; 29 May 2022, 15:32.

Comment

Ah, I im in the process of moving over to Free Agent so that should provide a safeguard against my corruption issues

Comment

use a better "cloud" service.
            OneDrive/SharePoint has versions so even if you overwrite them you can restore them to an earlier date.

What you're doing though is using a data sync system as a backup, when you should use a backup system for backups. Understand what you're trying to achieve and design a solution to meet that objective.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by A Tablecloth View Post
              Ah, I im in the process of moving over to Free Agent so that should provide a safeguard against my corruption issues
              which still doesn't provide a backup solution. You are totally trusting FreeAgent to have you covered in the event of a disaster. Which IMO is in conflict to your fiduciary responsibilities.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
              X