• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Second Job as Inside IR35 and keeping within the 20% tax bracket

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Job as Inside IR35 and keeping within the 20% tax bracket

Hi I'm new to contracting! Been reading a lot the last few days and wondering if anyone can help me or advise.

Basically I have a perm job making 65k a year, I worked here a year and a half. I Salary sacrifice (ss) to keep me under 50k. I don't need anymore money than this.

I just got offered a second role somewhere else in different industry with a day rate of £200 a day inside IR35 (has to be). This is a good opportunity to fill my pension and some of previous 3 three year where all i put in was 15k each year. This second role would take me over the 50k. So i'd want to SS it all if possible.

From my reading my best two option for inside IR35 are Agency PAYE and an Umbrella company.

Which would be best for what I want to do? I think the employer want me to be Agency PAYE for ease. I understand with an Umbrella there are fees, but I can offset this by increasing my day rate by like £5 to cover these expenses.

Thank you!

Originally posted by crabbycrabcrab View Post
    Hi I'm new to contracting! Been reading a lot the last few days and wondering if anyone can help me or advise.

Basically I have a perm job making 65k a year, I worked here a year and a half. I Salary sacrifice (ss) to keep me under 50k. I don't need anymore money than this.

I just got offered a second role somewhere else in different industry with a day rate of £200 a day inside IR35 (has to be). This is a good opportunity to fill my pension and some of previous 3 three year where all i put in was 15k each year. This second role would take me over the 50k. So i'd want to SS it all if possible.

From my reading my best two option for inside IR35 are Agency PAYE and an Umbrella company.

Which would be best for what I want to do? I think the employer want me to be Agency PAYE for ease. I understand with an Umbrella there are fees, but I can offset this by increasing my day rate by like £5 to cover these expenses.

Thank you!
    If you are putting a fair whack into a pension always go for an umbrella - agency PAYE allows the agency to pocket the employer NI savings...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It's kinda annoying. I think I have to use Agency PAYE. Umbrella would probs be best if i had the option. What can I expect using that? If they don't offer SS should I just take this salary as normal and just do SS on my perm job upto the amount I get from the inside IR35 gig so my total earnings are under 50k?

Comment

So money aside how are you going to work a full time job where you are contracted to work x hours a day, y days a month etc in parallel with an inside gig which is likely to also want you x hours a day for y days a month?

The only way you can do that is work on each others time which will not end well for you. Have you made the situation clear to both employer and client? If you haven't and can't then you shouldn't be doing it.

It's kinda annoying. I think I have to use Agency PAYE. Umbrella would probs be best if i had the option. What can I expect using that? If they don't offer SS should I just take this salary as normal and just do SS on my perm job upto the amount I get from the inside IR35 gig so my total earnings are under 50k?
        You think double billing on the other persons time is annoying, imagine what they will feel when they find out. These tax systems aren't really set up for people ripping their clients and employers off
        Last edited by northernladuk; 30 March 2022, 19:20.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

NLUK, do you have a document where you copy and paste standard responses from or do you type it out every time?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            So money aside how are you going to work a full time job where you are contracted to work x hours a day, y days a month etc in parallel with an inside gig which is likely to also want you x hours a day for y days a month?

The only way you can do that is work on each others time which will not end well for you. Have you made the situation clear to both employer and client? If you haven't and can't then you shouldn't be doing it.

You think double billing on the other persons time is annoying, imagine what they will feel when they find out. These tax systems aren't really set up for people ripping their clients and employers off
            Hi thanks for the reply, not really what I wanted to discuss and not sure what your response adds to the post. I'm not into the business to rip anyone off. In my first company i'm on top of everything and my manager said they can't give me a raise this year. She suggested taking a side gig and fully is ok with it as long as I continue to perform well. I found one and I explained to the guy I have a job already but he said it's ok as long as the work is done. I would work maybe 2 to 3 days a week on paper but he is happy to see things completed within the timeframes. Im in a fortunate situation. Sadly when it comes to getting paid it's not in his area of control how i'm paid etc hence the questions above.

If you have any useful insight to my questions, i'd appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
              NLUK, do you have a document where you copy and paste standard responses from or do you type it out every time?
              Northern Lad UK Comment Generator

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by crabbycrabcrab View Post

Hi thanks for the reply, not really what I wanted to discuss and not sure what your response adds to the post. I'm not into the business to rip anyone off. In my first company i'm on top of everything and my manager said they can't give me a raise this year. She suggested taking a side gig and fully is ok with it as long as I continue to perform well. I found one and I explained to the guy I have a job already but he said it's ok as long as the work is done. I would work maybe 2 to 3 days a week on paper but he is happy to see things completed within the timeframes. Im in a fortunate situation. Sadly when it comes to getting paid it's not in his area of control how i'm paid etc hence the questions above.

If you have any useful insight to my questions, i'd appreciate it
                I added this as we've had a raft of questions like this and on the whole they are just people being greedy and trying to double bill because their employer/clients can't see them. If what you say is true then you are the first person that's managed to nail it. You ask for free help on a situation then you've got to expect some digression on your points. You never know, one day it might actually be useful. Shutting down anyone that points something out you might have missed isn't.

But Eek has answered your question so you've got what you want.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X