• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a Tesla through the business

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greenpower112 View Post

Ok, if I do buy a tesla through the business - the company owns the car. So let's say a wheel pops - the company pays. How far does that extend though? I got a quote for £3300 for matt black wrap just now - can the company pay for car modifications as well?
    its the company's car so yes the company pays for modifications. The wholly and exclusive test is irrelevant as you pay BIK.

for my money this is just a dumb idea.
    Buy the car you want personally and charge the business 45p per mile. If you can't afford the car you want then address your desires.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

its the company's car so yes the company pays for modifications. The wholly and exclusive test is irrelevant as you pay BIK.

Buy the car you want personally and charge the business 45p per mile. If you can't afford the car you want then address your desires.
      I was chatting with an umbrella earlier today who are looking at allowing people to lease an EV while working through that umbrella.

In that scenario an EV starts to make a lot of sense as you can get a Model Y for less than £6000 of post tax income a year...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I was chatting with an umbrella earlier today who are looking at allowing people to lease an EV while working through that umbrella.

In that scenario an EV starts to make a lot of sense as you can get a Model Y for less than £6000 of post tax income a year...
        what happens when the 3 month contract comes to an end?

My main issue is the unknowns. If I own a car outright (no finance) personally, no matter what happens with company/contracts/etc. I still own that asset. If I no longer need it I can sell it. If I need it for business then there is a funding model for it (albeit not very generous with recent fuel price increases). And my car costs a LOT less than £6k a year.
        But it is admittedly a subjective opinion I have.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I don't really understand what you don't understand? What has affordability got to do with any of this? I can afford to buy the car tomorrow out of my own personal pocket OR out of the company's pocket either way. What I am trying to do is save on tax.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Or buy/lease the damned thing yourself and charge the company for using it. Which is by far the more sensible, risk-free way.

Wrapping isn't a modification anyway, it's a cosmetic. You can take it off any time you like.
            Where is the risk?

Comment

I don't really understand why people are saying this is a bad idea? Can someone tell me where my maths is going wrong.

Car costs 60k. Company makes revenue 150k, expenses 2k. Note: I am a higher tax payer.

1. Buy the car personally. So we calculate profit which is (150 - 2) * 0.79 = 117k. We release 80k in dividends (60k for the car + 20k dividend tax).
              Insurance over 3 years is 6k which again to release from the company would cost so that's 8k.

117 - 80 - 8 = 29k cash left in the company.

After 3 years the car depreciates and is worth 35% less so I have a personal asset worth 39k and 29k cash in the company account.

2. Buy the car through the company. It's now 54k due to 10% VAT reduction. Fully corp tax deducatable as an allowance (as is insurance)

(150-2-54-6) * 0.79 = 70k profit

There is a caviat here - we have to pay BIK 2% and class 1 NA but these are minimal and not worth considering for the purpose of the final figure.

After 3 years the car depreciates and is worth 35% less so I have a company asset worth 39k and 70k cash in the company account.

I now gift the tesla to myself which means I have to pay 40% BIK on 39k which is going to require dividend drawdown of 15.6 + 5 (tax) so call it 21k.
              This leaves 49k in the company account.

So scenario 1: in 3 years I have a car worth 39k and 29k in company account
              Scenario 2: in 3 years I have a car worth 39k and 49k in company account AND the ability to keep the car in the company name in case they keep BIK as 2%

Comment

Are you properly comparing the terms of the agreements - business vs personal, or assuming you can get personal terms but set the DD up from your Ltd Co?

Have you factored in that you will need business car insurance policy, not just a personal one that covers commuting (hint: if you use the car for business use, you will never be commuting).

Saying that the BIK and NIC is negligible is fine but you do need to consider how that affects the tax you pay on any other company drawings - your BIK will affect your tax code, reducing what you can draw out of your company at the lower rate, for example. So have you looked at what you would ordinarily draw and made the necessary adjustments?

Are you confident that your company will be trading in three years and so will be able to meet the repayments every month?

How do you know what funds you will have in your company in three years' time?
                Last edited by ladymuck; 22 March 2022, 22:25.

Comment

Originally posted by greenpower112 View Post
                  I don't really understand why people are saying this is a bad idea?
                  if you’re not interested in understanding why people disagree with you, then why did you ask the question in the first place?

also, if you’re paying £2,000 per year on insurance, then it sounds like there’s several bits of the story you don’t want to tell us.

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Oh, and given all your other posts about having an electric company car under your banned username, you really are a prime chump.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X