• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 clause in contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 clause in contract

Recently started a new contract which was deemed outside of IR 35, but having started a few weeks ago, I have never before been so controlled and directed as I am now. So I started reading my contract again and found this clause. I'm trying to understand what it exactly means. Is this a clawback clause should I start paying taxes retrospectively or is it only from the moment they re-assess and determine that I'm Inside. (company refers to my Ltd company)

4. If it is determined by the Client, that the Assignment falls within scope of IR35 any payment due to the Company pursuant
    to clause 4.1 shall be payable directly by the Employment Business or by the third party nominated by the Employment
    Business subject to the third party or Employment Business deducting all applicable taxes (including any national insurance
    contributions) required by law or any other fees charged by the third party or Employment Business. For the avoidance of
    doubt, if requested, the Company shall be required to enter into a separate contract with the third party in relation to payment,
    deduction of applicable taxes and other fees. The Employment Business shall not be liable for any losses whatsoever and
    howsoever arising from IR35.

Well, it talks about the client deciding. First thing I would want to be very clear on, has the client any inclination towards changing the gig from outside to inside?

From the very brief details given, it seems to me that you think you're already defacto inside. So it wouldn't matter what the contract said. Facts trump the contract wording.

And yes, it seems to me you're 100% on the hook for ernic, eenic and paye.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

It could be retrospective, but HMRC will say it isn’t.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

The responsibility for a deemed payment arises from the moment that the working practices are inside. Split judgements are not impossible, but they are rare, so the chances are that any inside status began from the very beginning of the contract and the client's opinion about this will carry a lot of weight. For a split judgement to arise, there would need to be a substantive change in working practices, one way or the other, and you've already said that the current working practices feel as though they're inside, so they probably are (especially D&C, which is very important).

Regarding liability, I would be focusing on the last sentence, which states "The Employment Business shall not be liable for any losses whatsoever and howsoever arising from IR35." I think that gives you their opinion on the matter.

tl;dr. A risk, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

"The Employment Business shall not be liable for any losses whatsoever and howsoever arising from IR35." I think that gives you their opinion on the matter.

tl;dr. A risk, yes.
          Is there any definition of loss? What if, for example, they make slightly lower profit if they pay the taxes they owe?

What if you terminate the contract and leave for an outside IR35 role? That sounds like they would lose profits arising from IR35. It’s all a bit iffy,

Hopefully it wouldn’t stand up in court. We could end up like the foreign nurses pursued for thousands for leaving a rubbish contract.

Comment

Working...
          X