• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting for US-based company with no UK presence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting for US-based company with no UK presence

I'm planning to take a job in London (moving from Switzerland) and my wife and I are trying to work out options for my her employment situation. Currently she is a contractor for a single company based out of California, and the goal would be to continue that setup. Her employer has made it clear that they will not consider setting up a UK presence, and although I've been doing a bit of reading about IR35, DNPI, and so on, the options are still pretty opaque to me. In Switzerland she currently goes through a payroll company that handles her pension/insurance/tax deductions, and the US company pays the payroll company directly. Is there anything similar in the UK, and/or is there a more efficient option? (right now she pays the "employer" insurance and pension as well out of her taxes, which is not ideal).

Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by JPhillips View Post
    I'm planning to take a job in London (moving from Switzerland) and my wife and I are trying to work out options for my her employment situation. Currently she is a contractor for a single company based out of California, and the goal would be to continue that setup. Her employer has made it clear that they will not consider setting up a UK presence, and although I've been doing a bit of reading about IR35, DNPI, and so on, the options are still pretty opaque to me. In Switzerland she currently goes through a payroll company that handles her pension/insurance/tax deductions, and the US company pays the payroll company directly. Is there anything similar in the UK, and/or is there a more efficient option? (right now she pays the "employer" insurance and pension as well out of her taxes, which is not ideal).

Thanks for the help!
    The answer to your question is, yes.

This question crops up frequently, a quick search of CUK may help you further.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by JPhillips View Post

Thanks for the help!
      Speak to Lucy at Clarity - she answered the exact same question in a different forum earlier today.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Here is the thread to which eek refers:

https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...ile-in-uk.html

There are many others. This comes up quite a lot.

Comment

Ask if they will consider hiring her through somebody like Remote.com or LetsDeel.

Comment

Working...
          X