• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nixon Williams hit by Cyber Security incident

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SanMiguel View Post

Also the same, left them about 2 years ago, had an email informing me the same and also the Experian code doesn't work. Not that worried by the Experian thing (if the breach happened a year ago then well, I'd have noticed by now). Would have been nice to be informed sooner though...

Edit... going over the history in this thread, it seems like I got out of NW in the nick of time. Shame, they were a really decent and good value operation back when I first started out.
    You definitely did the right thing there. I have always been surprised at how many people seem reluctant to change accountant when the service received by the client gets to the point it's truly beyond dismal. In any case, it seems from recent HMRC actions that the best times for the pile 'em high sausage machine style contractor accountant is in the past. I think that's actually a good thing if it means people have to face up to taking more responsibility for running an incorporated business. So much the better. For those who can't be bothered, there's other options.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
      I stopped using Nixon William 10 yrs ago I got an email from them today Dec 13th nearly a year after they knew telling me dob, address and ni number were stolen offering me free Exprian with a code that does not work. For others impacted and notified earlier on what's current the status of this all?
      Same here, just received a letter regarding this hack which came as a shock as I left SJD 2 years ago and never received communication from them about the hack earlier this year. If I had known earlier I would have set up an Experian much sooner…. I am livid! The data copied was my name, address, dob & NI.

For reference I was using their old spreadsheet accounts service and never migrated to their online portal so this was clearly a hack on their client details and not their online portal.

Apart from Experian & CIFAS is there any further steps I can take to protect myself?

Also where can I make a complaint as one year’s worth of Experian really doesn’t cover the cost as this will be a lifelong issue of me having to protect my details from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheens83 View Post

Also where can I make a complaint as one year’s worth of Experian really doesn’t cover the cost as this will be a lifelong issue of me having to protect my details from now on.
        The ICO handle data breaches. But they're not gonna get you any compensation.
        Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)

Other than that your best bet is raise a complaint with Optionis directly (good luck with that as they'll not give you any more than they already have).

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

ICO have reported back on this it seems.

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...tack_2022.html

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
            ICO have reported back on this it seems.

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...tack_2022.html
            ICO have given Caroola a 'reprimand'.

Whoop de doo!

Just to show how useless Caroola is, I've had multiple reminders and now a 'final warning' for not submitting details for my self assessment return despite me moving to a new accountant nine months ago and emailing them to inform them to stop contacting me.

Comment

Working...
            X