• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letter from HMRC claiming underpaid PAYE and NIC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

But it depends when it is paid and what for? I thought general consensus was that you can't pay yourself 9k for the year when you've not worked it. Obviously there is also the fact that things might change in that year and you are going to have mess about with your figures potentially attracting unwanted attention but as I said, I thought we were told paying a salary for the year upfront was not to be done?
    I am talking about paying a year's income in arrears not in advance.

When March (April 5th tax year end) arrives you're going to know how much you can pay yourself, if anything at all? I have to admit though that I am not thinking in less than one year scenarios. Neither am I considering off sets between tax and company year ends.
    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 4 October 2021, 12:08.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

I am talking about paying a year's income in arrears not in advance.

When March (April 5th tax year end) arrives you're going to know how much you can pay yourself, if anything at all? I have to admit though that I am not thinking in less than one year scenarios. Neither am I considering off sets between tax and company year ends.
      Ah yes then that's what I thought. I am assuming if the OPs accounting is saying PAYE of 1400 odd then OP has paid himself ahead of the work and may have other issues to consider above and beyond the tax code.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Ah yes then that's what I thought. I am assuming if the OPs accounting is saying PAYE of 1400 odd then OP has paid himself ahead of the work and may have other issues to consider above and beyond the tax code.
        Quite.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          You'll need to liaise with your accountant re this, they'll know what they've done, we'd just be speculating.

Possibly they submitted the £8,840 as April's payroll, then submitted nothing for the following months. HMRC will then be guessing in the absence of submissions (though if your letter makes no mention of specified charges this probably isn't the case).

Have they possibly been actually submitting £8,840/month each and every month...either big confusion between you/them over what you wanted, or big muck up by them?

IMHO attempting to do an annual salary is daft, payroll systems aren't really set up to deal nicely with it. Divide it by 12 and do it as a monthly submission. Yes it's 12 submissions instead of 1, but the submissions are a doddle and it'll minimise risk of problems like you're seeing.
          Thanks very much for the response- my accountant is being rather shifty and vague which makes me suspect that some screw-up has happened. Is there any way I can see what HMRC thinks has been submitted - would be good to understand that.

Looking in Freeagent it *looks* like monthly RTI submissions have been made with GBP8840 in the month in question, and then zero for each of the following months. In the payroll section each month shows a zero pay and a negative (i.e. cash to be returned to me) tax amount.

In terms of what SimonMac said is there some way to see in which of the three ways my PAYE has been set - i.e. it should be on the Director basis.

I paid myself in arrears for those asking.

Comment

Originally posted by booms View Post

On April's payroll? That was a stupid idea. If you are playing the game of 1 big PAYE payment you should be doing it in February or March once you know you will not doing an inside IR35 contract that (tax) year.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by booms View Post

Thanks very much for the response- my accountant is being rather shifty and vague which makes me suspect that some screw-up has happened. Is there any way I can see what HMRC thinks has been submitted - would be good to understand that.

Looking in Freeagent it *looks* like monthly RTI submissions have been made with GBP8840 in the month in question, and then zero for each of the following months. In the payroll section each month shows a zero pay and a negative (i.e. cash to be returned to me) tax amount.

In terms of what SimonMac said is there some way to see in which of the three ways my PAYE has been set - i.e. it should be on the Director basis.

If you are doing it in arrears should you not be more bothered about zero for previous months not following? Anything in the following will be for the next payroll to be made in 12 months?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X