• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage rates for contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage rates for contractors?

What sort of interest rates have been found on offer lately? Natwest is 1.81%. Seems a bit high in light of all the free money the BoE is throwing around right now. And their historically low interest rate.....

Also, any broker recommendations?

Just wondering!
    Last edited by ApeShape; 13 September 2021, 14:53.

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
    What sort of interest rates have been found on offer lately? Natwest is 1.81%. Seems a bit high in light of all the free money the BoE is throwing around right now. And their historically low interest rate.....

Just wondering!
    1.62% + base rate - Barclays. This is a completely flexible offset one. The reason for using it is due to the time delay between buying new home and selling old one. This one allows me to bung £300k into it after a few months, or pay it off entirely without penalty.
    Better rates are available but at the cost of flexibility.
    At least a 20% deposit absolutely essential.

EDIT: Just spotted who the OP is. Use a broker who can explain what the payments are and can calculate a percentage.
    Last edited by Lance; 13 September 2021, 15:30.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It depends on the bank. My current mortgage is with Nationwide and applied for a newortgage with them. They offer exactly the same rates as for employees.

I applied as self-employed and they only take in account the amount if money you pay yourself out of the business. They didn't ask for anything other than my HMRC SA302 and Year summaries for the last 2 years for both me and my wife; we both have 50% shares.

Applied directly on their website. Got a phone appointment with one of their advisers and that was it.

Comment

You sure the NatWest one accepts contractors? You need to speak to Freelance Financials. They'll sort through your situation and apply that to the different criteria the lenders have. Some won't accept breaks in contract, others need 3 months left of the contract etc.

So many hoops to jump though there is no point talking about rates until you have a list of lenders who's criteria you meet. My money is on the Halifax coming back with the best rates, but depends on whether you can get it.

Speak to Freelancer Financials.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

yeah maybe speak to freelancer financials - they have given me good advice.

https://www.contractoruk.com/money/c...mortgages.html

I read an article about low Halifax rates from them.... will dig it out

Comment

here you go about halifax low rates

https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00...gh_street.html

Comment

Working...
            X