• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rules regarding work away from home.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rules regarding work away from home.

Can I claim as expenses if I decide to work from another location? All you need is good internet in these covid times. If I book an apartment for a month in London or Edinburgh or anywhere else and work from there, can I claim that as an expense?

No because it's not wholly and exclusively for the purpose of business. It's because you fancy a trip out which is a personal choice.

If you had to move somewhere to be nearer to a client then yes, fancy a trip somewhere then no.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      No because it's not wholly and exclusively for the purpose of business. It's because you fancy a trip out which is a personal choice.

If you had to move somewhere to be nearer to a client then yes, fancy a trip somewhere then no.
      Even you second point has big ifs and buts around it.

There was a case a while back of someone travelling regularly to Bristol and staying in a Travelodge who wasn't able to claim for due to the fact he was working for multiple clients while there. There is slightly more to it than that but it wasn't much...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

As a general rule of thumb, if the client needs you to be in a particular location in order to deliver the contracted services then you can claim the expenses. If you fancy a month in Spain then no, you can't claim it.

Comment

Originally posted by pkm View Post
          Can I claim as expenses if I decide to work from another location? All you need is good internet in these covid times. If I book an apartment for a month in London or Edinburgh or anywhere else and work from there, can I claim that as an expense?
          I would've thought this one would be pretty obvious, to be honest. No offence intended.

In either case, I would trust your accountant more than I'd trust the replies on this forum, should really be asking them

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post

I would've thought this one would be pretty obvious, to be honest. No offence intended.
            For someone that has been contracting/on the forums since at least 2014 it should be.
            In either case, I would trust your accountant more than I'd trust the replies on this forum, should really be asking them
            But as you've just stated it is pretty obvious so doesn't really need his accountant on this one and the advice we give is spot on. It's not wholly and exclusively for work so it fails the test. Very simple this one.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

the advice we give is spot on
              In this case, agreed. Generally - not necessarily.

Comment

Of course, if the gig is inside IR35 then you can't claim any expenses unless the client is reimbursing you.

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post

I did before posting here to see what people think. They say you can if you travel and come back at the end of the week.

I wouldn't be posting here if it was obvious. The IR35 rules are designed so that you show that you are a company and you can work from anywhere. The client should not be able to dictate where you work, right? And you should be able to substitute .. blah blah i.e. You should be able to make your own decisions. I'm exercising that right. The responses here seem to suggest that if a client wants you in a certain location, then you can claim.

Yes. It is director's to work from another location. So, why can it not be submitted as an expense?

Comment

For someone that has been contracting/on the forums since at least 2014 it should be.

But as you've just stated it is pretty obvious so doesn't really need his accountant on this one and the advice we give is spot on. It's not wholly and exclusively for work so it fails the test. Very simple this one.
                    I did ask the accountant before posting. Just gathering people's opinions - so don't assume a lot of things. They say you can.

Comment

Working...
                    X