• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freelance - setting up a LTD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post

on <£10k revenue, with the ongoing costs of running a company (it's more than just an accountant) is it really worth it?
    If you're not willing to pay the tax I'd suggest it's not worth doing the work at all. This is chicken feed.
    So far since middle 2020 my side hustle Ltd Co has cost me the incorporation fee at Companies House (I forget exactly how much but it was not very much at all, I got the incorporation certificate by email in about 30 minutes. Very good service from Companies House). Plus the £1 share capital. Nothing else just yet. The only other fee I am aware of presently is the confirmation fee when I do the annual confirmation statement at Companies House in a couple of months. The cloud book keeping software is free. The bank charges are 32p each time I send money to my SIPP. So let's say, it's much less than £50 per year to DIY my side hustle company per year. Yes, in my opinion it is very much worth doing.

Of course, if you yourself would wish pay 60% tax voluntarily then I am very happy for the exchequer. I wouldn't. And yes correct, I wouldn't work for less than 40% take home. I have given the OP a very simple way to manage his income and his tax affairs for mere buttons. If he/she would rather voluntarily pay 60% tax, it's fine by me.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      So far since middle 2020 my side hustle Ltd Co has cost me the incorporation fee at Companies House (I forget exactly how much but it was not very much at all, I got the incorporation certificate by email in about 30 minutes. Very good service from Companies House). Plus the £1 share capital. Nothing else just yet. The only other fee I am aware of presently is the confirmation fee when I do the annual confirmation statement at Companies House in a couple of months. The cloud book keeping software is free. The bank charges are 32p each time I send money to my SIPP. So let's say, it's much less than £50 per year to DIY my side hustle company per year. Yes, in my opinion it is very much worth doing.

Of course, if you yourself would wish pay 60% tax voluntarily then I am very happy for the exchequer. I wouldn't. And yes correct, I wouldn't work for less than 40% take home. I have given the OP a very simple way to manage his income and his tax affairs for mere buttons. If he/she would rather voluntarily pay 60% tax, it's fine by me.
      but you know what you're doing.
      The OP doesn't..... Otherwise they wouldn't be asking.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by alexthepenguin View Post

My question is if I can do the accounting myself or would I need an accountant? Obviously my preference will be to do it myself given I'm not making that much on my side hustle and micro-entity accounts don't seem too daunting. But if there's value added using an accountant I'm happy to consider it.
        Done accounts myself for many years and my advice would be charge the client 10% extra to cover the cost of an accountant. It's just not worth the hassle doing it yourself, and a good accountant will ensure you're getting the money out of the company in the most tax efficient way.

Comment

Fair point, yes......

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

OK, my suggestion a few minutes ago won't work because of already maxxing out the pension to £40k. Just start a company and sit the money in there until there's a better time to use it for something. Paying 60% tax voluntarily is insane.
            yup this is the exact situation I want to avoid. I'm happy just to leave the money in the ltd

Comment

well everyone has to start somewhere I'm thinking I could pay an accountant for the first two years say and treat that as a learning fee and then do the subsequent accounts myself

Comment

well everyone has to start somewhere I'm thinking I could pay an accountant for the first two years say and treat that as a learning fee and then do the subsequent accounts myself
                The £1000 that will cost you will be less than paying PAYE tax so go for it.
                You might even find a local accountant who'll do it for less if you're not VAT registered.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

That's a sensible approach to take. This is the route I went down when I first started out. I had 9 years of working in accounts behind me but still engaged an accountant to do everything initially and then reduced the level of service so now I do everything up to trial balance and the accountant just does the final accounts, submissions to CoHo and HMRC, and CT calculations.

A couple of books may help if you're not familiar with the basic mechanics of accounting. I'd recommed Frank Woods Basic Accounting 1 and 2. Actually, it's been updated to be called Frank Wood's Business Accounting but there's still two books. The principles never change and it's good to have an understanding of what the software is doing for you and what the various reports mean.

Comment

yup this is the exact situation I want to avoid. I'm happy just to leave the money in the ltd
                    As far as I can see, it's your only (fully legal) option to avoid the 60% tax on your side hustle. I don't have the problem putting all my side hustle income into my SIPP as I am otherwise retired.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      According to the link I posted, alphabet shares make it even more a red flag. I strongly suggest you take professional advice in your company formation, even if you do the yearly accounts yourself.
                      Rereading the article I agree with your statement but I'm a bit confused. Say I can go out and get shares of a public company without any contribution and I still get dividends. How is that different from having a family member or close friend as a shareholder in my LTD and pay them dividend? Why do they need to play a role in the company in order to receive dividends?

Comment

Working...
                      X