• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternative to savings account?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just put a wodge into a Virgin Money Savings Account. As we might need it in the next 12 months I couldn't go for any fixed term deals. The VM one is 0.5% but that goes down to 0.35% towards the end of April. Not likely to get any champagne corks popping but (marginally) better than nowt

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

don't sell your loans. Bad idea.
      Just let the income drip out.
      Similar with any form of non-cash investment though. Stocks and shares still need to be sold. If you need to withdraw the cash at any time, then 1% is very good rate. Better off drawing down equity in your house if you need cash than selling investments.
      I've researched S&S ISAs and know where and how I'm going to invest my money but this is the bit I still don't understand. You put money into S&S, but how the hell do you get it out?

I've had a ropey S&S ISA for 15 years and it's just about broken even, and if I do anything with it I'll lose even more money.

Stocks and shares just seems like 'jam tomorrow' to me.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by HoofHearted View Post
        I've just put a wodge into a Virgin Money Savings Account. As we might need it in the next 12 months I couldn't go for any fixed term deals. The VM one is 0.5% but that goes down to 0.35% towards the end of April. Not likely to get any champagne corks popping but (marginally) better than nowt
        Frustrating, but as you say, better than nowt. I have a general rule that if the annual gain in interest is greater than £100, then I'll change. I recently swapped an easy access account from Marcus to Coventry, only for Coventry to drop from 0.96% to 0.55% the next month.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I've researched S&S ISAs and know where and how I'm going to invest my money but this is the bit I still don't understand. You put money into S&S, but how the hell do you get it out?

I've had a ropey S&S ISA for 15 years and it's just about broken even, and if I do anything with it I'll lose even more money.

Stocks and shares just seems like 'jam tomorrow' to me.
          Jeez. Very ropey. Before inflation? Over a 15 year period, if you're invested in a collective investment i.e. a fund, or an ETF, or an investment trust, it would have been harder to have lost money than gained. If it's in individual stocks, then that's a different matter.

Stocks and shares are almost by definition, jam tomorrow.

I'm of the firm belief that for most financial advisors, when a client comes to them with an average risk appetite with some money they don't need for at least 5 years, they would be discharging their fiduciary duty best by writing the following on a post-it note then showing them the door...
          • Vanguard.co.uk
          • lifestrategy funds
          • auto invest
          • keep your password safe
          • look again in 20 years
          Of course, there's not much money in this approach for advisors.

I just wish someone had written that to me 20 years ago, or I just wish I'd found Morgan Housel:

https://www.collaborativefund.com/bl...show-on-earth/

Regarding getting your money out - you just sell the underlying holdings through the providers website then either keep as cash within the ISA wrapper should you wish to invest it in something else, or take it out completely (and forgo the tax advantages)

Comment

And bizarrely, that's exactly what I've done (and for 5 years as well).

I figured out that I will have learned how to get it out by 2026...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Premium bonds.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Premium bonds.
                Yep, that's what we're thinking. At least there's the chance of winning something, which makes it a bit more appealing than just getting 0.5% interest.

Will probably buy a bit of gold too just in case post-covid everything turns to shyte.
                Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 23 March 2021, 12:32.
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                  Will probably buy a bit of gold too just in case post-covid everything turns to shyte.
                  Because there's no risk to your capital when purchasing gold?

Well, based on that definition, there's quite a few alternatives to a savings account... scootie can run through them for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Well, based on that definition, there's quite a few alternatives to a savings account... scootie can run through them for you.
                    no VAT or CGT on gold if you get the right coins.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I did say "a bit". Probably no more than 5% of the capital.
                      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                      X