• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DLA and using it to reduce debt burden

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DLA and using it to reduce debt burden

This is one of those questions, that we see less of these days as everyone is closing their company.

I have a friend .
    With an offset mortgage.
    Can she take £100k as DLA, and offset the mortgage? Yes is the answer to that...
    bear with me.

She pays the loan back before company year end. Waits a bit, then takes it out again. Rinse and repeat.

legal?
    evasion?
    is it bed and breakfasting?
    See You Next Tuesday

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    This is one of those questions, that we see less of these days as everyone is closing their company.

I have a friend .
    With an offset mortgage.
    Can she take £100k as DLA, and offset the mortgage? Yes is the answer to that...
    bear with me.

She pays the loan back before company year end. Waits a bit, then takes it out again. Rinse and repeat.

legal?
    evasion?
    It is bed and breakfasting - better to just have a long term loan and pay the tax.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I thought if the DLA was over 10k you had to pay "something" on it (I'm tired and can't remember the term)

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

It is bed and breakfasting - better to just have a long term loan and pay the tax.
        thanks. That's what I thought.
        Interest rate of 2.06% for the mortgage so that's cheaper than the tax on the loan.

I'll go into full dodgy mode now.
        If I was to link the offset savings account (it's a separate sort code and account number) to FreeAgent. A cursory inspection, in fact anything short of a full audit would not notice I think. Other than the fraudulent use of company money, and probable GAAR breach. Any downsides?

*I miss pscont he was entertaining and I'm sick of MVL discussions*
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Ah, so it looks like another bank account on the books? Sneaky. I like it.

I don't use FA so not sure but if you can link an account in the demo version, it might be worth trying that to see how the account name comes through and whether it's editable to look official

Comment

Interest rate of 2.06% for the mortgage so that's cheaper than the tax on the loan.

If I was to link the offset savings account (it's a separate sort code and account number) to FreeAgent. A cursory inspection, in fact anything short of a full audit would not notice I think. Other than the fraudulent use of company money, and probable GAAR breach. Any downsides?

the account isn't in the company name though so it's still dodgy.

Back in 2008/10 I think you could have got away with it due to the risk of a bank going belly up taking your company's money with it (beyond the £85k guarantee). I suspect you couldn't argue that now.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have a friend .
              With an offset mortgage.
              bear with me.

legal?
              evasion?
              Thankfully we see less of them because they are generally daft ideas that are best avoided. We get the odd muppet brings it up though
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How much chearper? It's gotta be pretty close to hardly worth doing?

Like we say to PSCONT. If you are so intentent on taking the piss why are you asking us. Just get on with it.

If your intenet with the DL is to take money out, pay it back and then take it out later then will be seen as income by HRMC and be taxed as such. Is the saving really worth this level of stupidity?

Can we move to General like PSCONT's do please.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 20 March 2021, 00:36.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

How much chearper? It's gotta be pretty close to hardly worth doing?

Like we say to PSCONT. If you are so intentent on taking the piss why are you asking us. Just get on with it.

If your intenet with the DL is to take money out, pay it back and then take it out later then will be seen as income by HRMC and be taxed as such. Is the saving really worth this level of stupidity?

Can we move to General like PSCONT's do please.
                  it can go in general now I have the answer (the one I expected not the one I wanted
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Threads break when they're moved at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                    X