• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are people spending their £150 per person "social function" budget on this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Claiming travel is hardly an event or a party. As you are only saving the tax on it I think I'd have not bothered with that one just avoid attention.
    Although, just getting out of the house is an event in itself these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Although, just getting out of the house is an event in itself these days.
      and, in the most part, illegal.

We'll leave the topic of catching public transport to go somewhere during a pandemic to one side for the moment.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

and, in the most part, illegal.

We'll leave the topic of catching public transport to go somewhere during a pandemic to one side for the moment.
        Ok, get off your high horse.

This was before Christmas and we went from Tier 3 to Tier 3. Perfectly legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Great Parks View Post

Ok, get off your high horse.

This was before Christmas and we went from Tier 3 to Tier 3. Perfectly legal.
          essential travel was it?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

perhaps supermarket buying stuff for a home party would count?

Comment

Originally posted by Orangecat View Post
              perhaps supermarket buying stuff for a home party would count?
              Yes.

read the rules. They are quite simple and clear.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Normally do mine in August. Last year we didn't do anything and just saved the money. Hopefully this year we'll be able to resume normal service!

Comment

We had our final company one in December at Goodwood before lockdown. £190 for lunch for two.

No more ever for me now as I'm MVL-ing.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
                    Normally do mine in August. Last year we didn't do anything and just saved the money. Hopefully this year we'll be able to resume normal service!
                    I've been wondering about that. Looking at HMRC's guidance:
                    EIM21690 - Employment Income Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

"The general meaning of “annual” in the context of section 264 ITEPA 2003 is that it is something that happens once a year on a recurring basis and it follows from this that a one-off event, for example a party to celebrate a 25th anniversary, cannot be an annual party or function."

Under normal circumstances, I'm not sure what happens if you skip a year. Do HMRC say "Well, you've done it for 9 years out of 10, so that's near enough" or do you lose the benefit once you've broken the cycle?

Hopefully they'll make an exception this year, in view of the pandemic!

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

I've been wondering about that. Looking at HMRC's guidance:
                      EIM21690 - Employment Income Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

"The general meaning of “annual” in the context of section 264 ITEPA 2003 is that it is something that happens once a year on a recurring basis and it follows from this that a one-off event, for example a party to celebrate a 25th anniversary, cannot be an annual party or function."

Under normal circumstances, I'm not sure what happens if you skip a year. Do HMRC say "Well, you've done it for 9 years out of 10, so that's near enough" or do you lose the benefit once you've broken the cycle?

Hopefully they'll make an exception this year, in view of the pandemic!
                      IMO I think it would be unreasonable for them to suddenly disallow it under the current circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                      X