• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just got an ICO begging letter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silent bob View Post
    I got one too.

What happens if we just ignore it? Do we really have to go through the rigmarole of filling out self assessment?
    Go for it. Tell us how it went for you.

Hard work running a business innit.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      i just received the letter, too. I hold no data, it is stored by my Cloud-based email / storage provider.
      that still counts as you storing it....
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

To be fair he can ignore the self-assessment part. That is just an optional guide.
        So the direct answer is "yes you can".

It took me longer to find the letter from the pile the wife out it in than it did to complete the exemption form. And the SA form was only a bit longer as I tried lots of options to see what it was asking.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by silent bob View Post
          I got one too.

What happens if we just ignore it? Do we really have to go through the rigmarole of filling out self assessment?
          Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I remember when PAYE required a nil return form to be submitted when you didn't have anything to pay in a particular period, and I could never find the bloody thing either.

Some kids have no idea they've been born.

Comment

I just got one too, thought it was a scam first off. Who else laughed to find the scum in the house of commons exempted themselves from it? So typical of this hell hole country.

Did the self assessment the last question is the important one.

Do you only process personal data for:
            • Staff administration (including payroll);

You only hold the personal information of the people you need to for your staff administration.
            • accounts or records (ie invoices and payments);

You only hold the personal information of the people you need to for your own accounts and records – for example information about past, existing or present customers or suppliers.

The information is restricted to what is necessary for your accounts and records – for example name, address and credit card details. However, this doesn't include information processed by or obtained from credit reference agencies.
            • advertising, marketing and public relations (in connection with your own business activity).

You only hold the personal information of the people you need to for your own advertising, marketing and public relations – for example information about past, existing or present customers or suppliers

The information is restricted to what is necessary for your advertising, marketing and public relations – for example, names, addresses and other identifiers

You only advertise and market your own goods and services

Which I think we can all answer YES to which means exempt.

Comment

Pay it and stick it in the IR35 evidence folder ;-)
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                Pay it and stick it in the IR35 evidence folder ;-)
                It proves absolutely nothing.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you've determined that the business is exempt, do you need to register that anywhere? Will they send a similar letter in the post every year?

Comment

Originally posted by concord View Post
                    If you've determined that the business is exempt, do you need to register that anywhere? Will they send a similar letter in the post every year?
                    Did you read the previous posts? In the letter (turn it over) they give a link to register your exemption. I would expect a periodic reminder to revalidate because, strangely enough, businesses can and do change over time and your responsibilities will also change over time. Much like you have to periodically tell the pension regulator you're exempt from the auto opt-in thingy.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2864172

Comment

Thanks! I missed that post and my accountant only sent a scan of the front side of the letter.

Comment

Working...
                      X