• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit salary to director's loan account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    I have been advised that under RTI rules, the salary must be physically paid on or shortly after an RTI submission is made, that being no later than the following 5th of the month.
    Crediting it to the DLA is "paid" because it has been made available to the director in much the same way you might declare a dividend then credit it to the DLA and pay it later.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

When I originally started out contracting I used to be religious about keeping everything as separate physical transactions. These days I typically credit salary, mileage and expenses (but not dividends) to the DLA as a spreadsheet exercise and then draw 'round sum' values ad-hoc keeping the balance positive.

Mentioned in passing that I would credit salary to the DLA due to cash-flow, and was met with the above along with a warning of HMRC penalties if they find out. I'm none the wiser about this "rule", or where the 5th of the month date comes from. I suspect there is an element of reality in there somewhere, but there's no worth in labouring it further.

Now I just have to get this image of a headless chicken running around dressed up as Judge Dredd out of my head.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

When I originally started out contracting I used to be religious about keeping everything as separate physical transactions. These days I typically credit salary, mileage and expenses (but not dividends) to the DLA as a spreadsheet exercise and then draw 'round sum' values ad-hoc keeping the balance positive.

Mentioned in passing that I would credit salary to the DLA due to cash-flow, and was met with the above along with a warning of HMRC penalties if they find out. I'm none the wiser about this "rule", or where the 5th of the month date comes from. I suspect there is an element of reality in there somewhere, but there's no worth in labouring it further.

Now I just have to get this image of a headless chicken running around dressed up as Judge Dredd out of my head.
        Mention to whom, and what was their response where you asked where this "rule" came comes from?

Comment

Why are you pissing around with DLA when you don't fully understand it? Just do everything away from it and keep it clean.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            Mention to whom, and what was their response where you asked where this "rule" came comes from?
            It was an email exchange with my accountant, about another matter. They said it's an RTI rule.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Why are you pissing around with DLA when you don't fully understand it? Just do everything away from it and keep it clean.
            This just makes me sad.

Comment

It is not unusual to post money belonging to an employee to an account in the COA under their name, then make payments from there.
              It was an email exchange with my accountant, about another matter. They said it's an RTI rule.
              The trick then will simply be to do the RTI just before you make the payment in actuality?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The reason is for cash flow. Salary is a lump sum at the level where employer NICs to pay but no personal tax.

I have been advised that under RTI rules, the salary must be physically paid on or shortly after an RTI submission is made, that being no later than the following 5th of the month.

Even if this is incorrect advice it would be useful to know what if any basis there could be for it (NL: yes, I have asked!) - to try to understand the source of confusion.
                A payment of cash is not required. A "payment" is defined for PAYE purposes here: Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003 Crediting a DLA is part (a) of Rule 3. A tax month ends on the 5th of a month. You can find out more about timing by googling: RTI full payment submission.

Comment

Can salary be credited to the DLA or must it be paid physically?
                  Can be credited. Doesn't have to be physically paid.

Is there any time limit or deadline to the payment, after the RTI submission?
                  Nope.

Is a simple spreadsheet sufficient, showing the DLA credits/debits?
                  Yes. Or a good online accounting package like Freeagent.

Comment

This just makes me sad.
                    I'd normally come to you first for questions like this
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X