• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the best Stocks and Share ISA provider for small amounts?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Indeed, but due diligence is required here. II have three service plan levels depending on how active you are, you need to check which is best for you. HTH.
    I've just been active due to the whacko year we have had, I am trying to go buy and hold at some stage but the next crash comes just when you get too relaxed. The different outfits are in various stages of trying to attract custom and trying to then milk that custom. HL seem to be hoping that enough people will just stick to them and fill their coffers. My next move will be to get the cheapest when I'm in drawdown.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
      I've just been active due to the whacko year we have had, I am trying to go buy and hold at some stage but the next crash comes just when you get too relaxed. The different outfits are in various stages of trying to attract custom and trying to then milk that custom. HL seem to be hoping that enough people will just stick to them and fill their coffers. My next move will be to get the cheapest when I'm in drawdown.
      Good luck with your plans.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Lots of good stuff thanks. Actually found the type of table i was looking for while digging through all these. It was the one that shows the difference of costs depending on fund sizes.

Found it here..
        Compare the cheapest (and best) investment ISA platforms - Money To The Masses

It appears my HL account is one of the more expensive ones for what I have so might consider a move myself
        I use Vanguard and find it easy to use with a good mix of funds available to choose from within the ISA wrapper. Mrs W used this too, as did the other wealth managers in her Co. for their ISAs so I took that as a good enough recommendation personally.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

That's probably going to be my plan. What's the interface like? All the same stocks and funds available?
          Only just done this in the last week, so only just starting to get to grips with it. I said "just moved", but my in-speccie transfer will take up to 12 weeks apparently. The interface is not as "shiny" as HL, but it'll probably be fine once I get used to it.

Plenty of my existing funds are available, but there are a few, where the class I hold is not available to purchase at the moment (remains to be seen if this is temporary). They have other classes available, so I have asked the question as to what will happen with my in-speccie transfer of those funds.

They are super slow to answer messages at the moment (5 day lead time, to be fair they do warn you) which has frustrated me enormously this week. I ended up phoning them to get something sorted, as when they finally responded to a message, they didn't take time to look at previous message on the subject.

So not the greatest start tbh, but prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, as the savings will be enormous compared to HL.

I've been meaning to move for a couple of years, but never got round to it.
          Last edited by jmo21; 13 February 2021, 12:44.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            Only just done this in the last week, so only just starting to get to grips with it. I said "just moved", but my in-speccie transfer will take up to 12 weeks apparently. The interface is not as "shiny" as HL, but it'll probably be fine once I get used to it.

Plenty of my existing funds are available, but there are a few, where the class I hold is not available to purchase at the moment (remains to be seen if this is temporary). They have other classes available, so I have asked the question as to what will happen with my in-speccie transfer of those funds.

They are super slow to answer messages at the moment (5 day lead time, to be fair they do warn you) which has frustrated me enormously this week. I ended up phoning them to get something sorted, as when they finally responded to a message, they didn't take time to look at previous message on the subject.

So not the greatest start tbh, but prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, as the savings will be enormous compared to HL.

I've been meaning to move for a couple of years, but never got round to it.
            FWIW, Hargreaves Lansdown just took 5 calendar days to respond to a message I sent them, when in the past generally they have replied same day, or early the next morning.

Comment

FWIW, Hargreaves Lansdown just took 5 calendar days to respond to a message I sent them, when in the past generally they have replied same day, or early the next morning.
              If you are transferring away from HL you will experience epic foot dragging. They do absolutely everything they can to slow down the transfer process because they are losing your fees anyway and you can be sure they will charge you 0.45% right up to and including the day your transfer happens.

Comment

If you are transferring away from HL you will experience epic foot dragging. They do absolutely everything they can to slow down the transfer process because they are losing your fees anyway and you can be sure they will charge you 0.45% right up to and including the day your transfer happens.
                yeah, that wouldn't surprise me.

The bigger culprit for the delay is me however, should have moved at least a year ago I reckon.

Comment

This is proving bang on the money.

Latest update from II today, is that HL say they are backlogged and dealing with transfer requests received at the start of December. Very frustrating.

Comment

Son no.2 wants to open a Stocks and Shares ISA as well as his Lifetime ISA. I'm with H&L which I believe is expensive for small sums. It's going to be a single lump sum and then regular payments.

Having a dig around and I can't find a comparison list I saw many moons ago showing which was cheaper for set amounts.

What's the forums experience on the best provider for sub 10k a year at the moment?

If someone does know where the comparisons chart is could you you link it please?
                    May not be relevant if your son invests monthly but be mindful of inactivity fees, if you don't trade per month or quarter.

Comment

This is proving bang on the money.

Latest update from II today, is that HL say they are backlogged and dealing with transfer requests received at the start of December. Very frustrating.
                      It's when you try to move away from them that you finally work out what a horrible, cynical company they really are. Stick with it and just think of the money you save every single month. In my case it's in the thousands per year now.

Comment

Working...
                      X