• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the best Stocks and Share ISA provider for small amounts?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Take that article with a pinch of salt. Despite it's recent publishing date, a couple of the providers listed no longer exist.
    Which one? Hopefully not the hallowed MSE

That date thing is a particular bug bear of mine. I notice lots of review sites seem to just change the publication date but don't update the content. It must help on search engines

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Which one? Hopefully not the hallowed MSE

That date thing is a particular bug bear of mine. I notice lots of review sites seem to just change the publication date but don't update the content. It must help on search engines
      Indeed, the lower one. Actually, I didn't look at the upper link. I should have made that clear, sorry.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I use the "Freetrade" app, for my stocks and shares ISA.

3 pounds a month for the ISA. Trades are free. I am saving a lot, having Zero trading costs. But I typically trade daily, often multiple times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Son no.2 wants to open a Stocks and Shares ISA as well as his Lifetime ISA. I'm with H&L which I believe is expensive for small sums. It's going to be a single lump sum and then regular payments.

Having a dig around and I can't find a comparison list I saw many moons ago showing which was cheaper for set amounts.

What's the forums experience on the best provider for sub 10k a year at the moment?

If someone does know where the comparisons chart is could you you link it please?
          There is a comparison of sorts here:
          Top 5 Stocks and Shares ISA - Compare Our Best Investment ISA | money.co.uk
          Stocks & Shares ISAs - Compare For The Best Deal at MoneySuperMarket

I have a Halifax S&S ISA.
          There are a lot of positives and I would recommend it except that the cost per trade is high
          Halifax Share Dealing fund supermarket review - Which?

I should add that the Halifax one works out to be among the best as your investments grows larger, but it's among the worst if you trade frequently.
          Given the expected changes in Capital Gains Tax - I would expect that frequent trades will become a thing of the past.
          Last edited by Pragmatist; 10 February 2021, 21:42.

Comment

iWeb are worth looking at. £100 up front one off joining fee then £5 a trade. No ongoing fees. They're owned by Lloyds bank. Very much a no frills service mind. I use them, x-o and youinvest.

Comment

Lots of good stuff thanks. Actually found the type of table i was looking for while digging through all these. It was the one that shows the difference of costs depending on fund sizes.

Found it here..
              Compare the cheapest (and best) investment ISA platforms - Money To The Masses

It appears my HL account is one of the more expensive ones for what I have so might consider a move myself
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Lots of good stuff thanks. Actually found the type of table i was looking for while digging through all these. It was the one that shows the difference of costs depending on fund sizes.

Found it here..
                Compare the cheapest (and best) investment ISA platforms - Money To The Masses

It appears my HL account is one of the more expensive ones for what I have so might consider a move myself
                Is your son looking to invest in stocks and shares, or looking to invest in funds?

If your son is happy setting it and forgetting it, then Halifax is reasonable. Regular investments are £2 rather than the usual £12.50.

I think they're introducting an annual 36 quid fee at some point, but reducing trading fee from 12.50 to 9.50.

interactive investor has free regular investments options, but has a 9.99 fee per month. Gives you a free trade though, so pretty cost effective.

For smaller investments, I don't think you can go wrong with Vanguard, as they just charge a small percentage as the custody fee which will likely save a fair amount over the year and let him maximise how much is going towards his investment rather than the platform.

Comment

do you still have to get a post office to sign off your ID for interactive investor? I was going to start using them a couple of years ago but couldn't be arsed going in person.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

HL are a shocker. Even starting from a small investment IWeb is worth a look. Good platform and if you buy shares and ETFs rather than funds then the £100 up front is the total cost management wise ( unless they change the rules ), and only £5 a trade. Saves me a packet on previous providers. And that £100 covers ISA and SIPP.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      do you still have to get a post office to sign off your ID for interactive investor? I was going to start using them a couple of years ago but couldn't be arsed going in person.
                      Just moved my SIPP from HL to II. Didn't have to do that.

Comment

Working...
                      X