• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal Car Damaged at Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It makes not a jot of difference how it is insured...

Use of your personal car is is covered by the 45p/mile charge you can claim. Swings and roundabouts.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      This.
      That would be 'I call it f***ing w**k f***king bulltulip f**k.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        That would be 'I call it f***ing w**k f***king bulltulip f**k.
        Something along these f**king lines, yes
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          It makes not a jot of difference how it is insured...

Use of your personal car is is covered by the 45p/mile charge you can claim. Swings and roundabouts.
          You sure about that? Insurance and expenses are two totally different things. I'm not so sure the insurance company will take 'I claim 45p/mile' as defense when cancelling your insurance when you had a crash on the way to a client with a server in the boot.

You are on company business travelling to a client. Domestic and commute does not cover business.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You sure about that? Insurance and expenses are two totally different things. I'm not so sure the insurance company will take 'I claim 45p/mile' as defense when cancelling your insurance when you had a crash on the way to a client with a server in the boot.

You are on company business travelling to a client. Domestic and commute does not cover business.
            Yep, I have business cover - and don't forget the same is needed for RAC/AA/Green Shield cover as well...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You're both right.

The expenses (including wear and tear) are covered by the 45p/mile the OP is presumably claiming, regardless of the insurance position. There is no claim for the OP here.

A decent employer would insist on sight of the correct documents including suitable insurance cover before paying such an expense however.

A generous employer might make a (taxable) goodwill payment to help the poor employee towards the damage but most wouldn't. It wouldn't help the OP of course, unless he is also going to confuse employer with client...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Couple of points.

If the OP isn’t claiming expenses on his mileage to the client, then it could very well be considered a commute as it’s not a temporary place of work.

There’s no way the repair can be claimed from the business. Immaterial of insurance, expenses or commuting. And immaterial of 44p per mile. They are not relevant factors as the only factor is who owns the vehicle.
                It’s a personal vehicle and therefore a personal cost.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Slight tangent, but from an insurance perspective, does it make any difference if the client location where the damage took place is the OP's normal place of work (although not legally "employed" there) as opposed to a client he may drive to as part of his company's engagement with that client?

Would the former be covered under a personal "Domestic and commute" policy?

bbp: Did you speak to the client about the damage? Does the parking location have cameras? Are you inside IR35 and see if you can (mis)use that to get them to pay for it
                  Last edited by Paralytic; 22 January 2021, 09:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    Slight tangent, but from an insurance perspective, does it make any difference if the client location where the damage took place is the OP's normal place of work (although not legally "employed" there) as opposed to a client he may drive to as part of his company's engagement with that client?

Would the former be covered under a personal "Domestic and commute" policy?

bbp: Did you speak to the client about the damage? Does the parking location have cameras? Are you inside IR35 and see if you can (mis)use that to get them to pay for it
                    A "normal" place of work is covered under commuting for insurance purposes.
                    What else could it be?
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      A "normal" place of work is covered under commuting for insurance purposes.
                      What else could it be?
                      I'll defer that question to the previous respondents who told the OP that their commute to the client location was not covered under their car insurance, without querying whether this was their normal place of work.

Comment

Working...
                      X