• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to LTDCo - Amazon Business/VAT query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Oh dear.....

Don’t mix personal and business finances.....

The VAT is not being charged as you’ve provided the VAT number and Amazon are using EU rules to not charge it.
    YOU CANNOT RECLAIM VAT THAT HAS NOT BEEN PAID.

Not paying VAT on personal purchases is VAT fraud. You can go to prison for that.
    Even thought the VAT people have merged with the income tax people it doesn’t mean they have suddenly become as nice as them income tax people.

DONT **** THE VAT MAN.

FOG.
    My old Dad taught me:

1 Never sign for anything.
    2 Never volunteer for anything.
    3 Never **** the VAT man.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      My old Dad taught me:

1 Never sign for anything.
      2 Never volunteer for anything.
      3 Never **** the VAT man.
      Love it! Yes I've got that loud and clear - yet to do my first VAT return but I'm being super careful to try and work out what I'm doing and make sure the books are up to date and accurate by the time that point comes. I thought an Amazon Business account was going to be quite simple to operate but this being charged ex-VAT pricing has thrown me. Have gone back to double check with my accountant - the last thing I want is to be picked up on VAT fraud or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkyjf View Post
        Love it! Yes I've got that loud and clear - yet to do my first VAT return but I'm being super careful to try and work out what I'm doing and make sure the books are up to date and accurate by the time that point comes. I thought an Amazon Business account was going to be quite simple to operate but this being charged ex-VAT pricing has thrown me. Have gone back to double check with my accountant - the last thing I want is to be picked up on VAT fraud or something similar.
        There was also something about invading landlocked countries in Southeast Asia, but I can’t remember if it was a Do or Don’t, and TBH it’s never cropped up.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          There was also something about invading landlocked countries in Southeast Asia, but I can’t remember if it was a Do or Don’t, and TBH it’s never cropped up.
          Well I grew up in Hong Kong so my views are probably very un-PC in 2020. If it crops up, I'll let you know.

Comment

Hang on.. You have an accountant yes? And FreeAgent?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Hang on.. You have an accountant yes? And FreeAgent?
              Yes indeed. Some of this got lost in crossposting early on because I was being moderated. This question has been before the accountant, but he seemed to be using up an entire annual leave allocation in the run up to Christmas and the subject of VAT from Amazon Business was answered by a junior who seemed remarkably unsure himself ("They seem to be applying the EU rules...." didn't fill me with confidence that I was doing the right thing). It's gone back to my accountant proper, and I would expect an answer this week once he clears his inbox - however this forum has come up a number of times as I've researched various aspects of LTDCo life and so I thought I'd stick my head above the parapet and join, as I guessed that Amazon Business accounts were a fairly commonplace thing(?)

To be clear and reiterate - I'm not out to **** the VAT man - nor have I used this account for personal shopping - I just want to learn how it works and what my part is in it so that I don't end up later on finding out that I ****ed someone. The whole concept of VAT free shopping without the need to claim back (my accountant told me initially that I would be charged VAT and then claim it back) seems too easy and prone to abuse to me - and I'm generally a believer that if something seems to easy, you probably need to take a second look.

Comment

as I guessed that Amazon Business accounts were a fairly commonplace thing(?)
                I don't think it's that common. Either that or people don't really mention it. I seem to think SimonMac said he had it once but didn't use it enough to make it really worthwhile so I didn't bother. Couple of others have them but I'm not sure it's common place. One man LTD's hardly have to buy a lot of stuff.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't think it's that common. Either that or people don't really mention it. I seem to think SimonMac said he had it once but didn't use it enough to make it really worthwhile so I didn't bother. Couple of others have them but I'm not sure it's common place. One man LTD's hardly have to buy a lot of stuff.
                  I have one. They even gave me £1500 credit and 30 day payment terms.
                  Never used it as I have prime on my personal account and prefer the improved delivery.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thank you all for your advice - I'm not buying a lot, but I've needed a few things to get started, and from time to time my job calls for me to prototype and demonstrate solutions to clients, which (if I've understood correctly) it makes sense to put through the LTDCo as they are being used to support the business, even though I'm a one man band. If Amazon Business causes me potential tax/VAT issues then I'll move away from it for sure - for now it's a learning experience and whilst I have no desire to be a tax expert, I do want to learn enough that I can make good decisions for the LTDCo and not end up under the microscope!

Comment

Stop doing silly things like this until you have a clue about what you are doing.
                      I signed up because they give VAT receipts which is often not the case with a regular Amazon account

Comment

Working...
                      X