• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Checking Out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking Out

I'm done with trying to run a business in the UK. Pension AE. IR35 nonsense. On and on.

I have the option and am taking it. Relocating to America by March.

It's unfortunate for my UK employees, who don't have the same flexibility, but I'm out of patience with this. That's four full-time jobs (including mine) and two part timers gone. Bad for the economy, bad for tax revenue. Too bad, but HMG can at least claim they've been "fair." I'll retain one as a foreign employee here of my new company in America, and convert one contractor in America to an employee. I'll have no problem scaling up with new employees.

There's some things I'll miss about the UK but I'm too old to want to mess with the stuff this regime says you have to do. I was making employer contributions to employee SIPPs before AE came in but it's just more hassles. Everything is more hassles. I'm out.

Best of luck to all my friends here.

Congratulations on the move. I think it's a good choice to have made. This country has utterly gone to pot and things will only get worse as living standards decline further and taxes increase with no end in sight.

UK PLC is dead. I wish I had moved out when I was younger but my roots are too deep now. I am already prepping my kids to leave the country when they have grown up.

Comment

Congrats on the move. I'm sure you'll make it work.

You'll still be gracing the pages watching us flounder from your new huge condo won't you?
      Last edited by northernladuk; 23 December 2020, 13:51.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Best of luck, hope your new ventures all work out for you.

Don't be a stranger, tho'

Comment

I'm envious, best of luck

out of interest which state are you moving to?

Comment

Congratulations on your new life. The UK is truly the newest 3rd world country. I gave up on contracting and then worked in the Middle East, Asia and Australia before retiring and returning home a couple of months ago. I wish I had done it years ago. As it is, I left it too late. I would have retired in Australia but it wasn't financially do-able having left it too late. Good luck in your new life.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              I'm done with trying to run a business in the UK. Pension AE. IR35 nonsense. On and on.

I have the option and am taking it. Relocating to America by March.

It's unfortunate for my UK employees, who don't have the same flexibility, but I'm out of patience with this. That's four full-time jobs (including mine) and two part timers gone. Bad for the economy, bad for tax revenue. Too bad, but HMG can at least claim they've been "fair." I'll retain one as a foreign employee here of my new company in America, and convert one contractor in America to an employee. I'll have no problem scaling up with new employees.

There's some things I'll miss about the UK but I'm too old to want to mess with the stuff this regime says you have to do. I was making employer contributions to employee SIPPs before AE came in but it's just more hassles. Everything is more hassles. I'm out.

Best of luck to all my friends here.
              Good luck with the move.

I do have to point out though that pension Auto Enrollment doesn't cost us any more than our previous voluntary contribution to our staff pensions and it takes at most 5 minutes a month on admin. You must have been doing it wrong if that was yoiur reason for throwing in the towel

Comment

I would like to make the move as well but just seems like such a disaster in the USA right now. Social unrest everywhere. Crime is insanely high everywhere. Sure you can't beat the economic opportunity but I don't know.

Where are you planning on going? Are you worried at all about how unstable it is right now? (both coronavirus and societal tensions) They have had armed groups taking over government buildings and burning down city centers in recent months.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  I would like to make the move as well but just seems like such a disaster in the USA right now. Social unrest everywhere. Crime is insanely high everywhere. Sure you can't beat the economic opportunity but I don't know.

Where are you planning on going? Are you worried at all about how unstable it is right now? (both coronavirus and societal tensions) They have had armed groups taking over government buildings and burning down city centers in recent months.
                  Talk about making a massive generalisation of a nation of 328 million by watching a few news clips. Excelled yourself with this one.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 23 December 2020, 16:40.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Talk about making a massive generalisation of a nation of 328 million by watching a few news clips. Excelled yourself with this one.
                    Yeah that's why I asked where? I am genuinely interested in going if there is a city without all the violence and social unrest that has good opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                    X