• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage before taking a permanent role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, it is lot of money, but it is actual London prices for the kind of property I am looking for.
    I expect to stay long term, ideally over a decade or two, but sure we never know, situation may change and it could become not affordable anymore.
    In this situation, and to avoid mortgage eventual fraud, it would be wiser to wait and continue to save as much as possible.
    I would then have a better eyesight of my future and take less risk if I can borrow less and have a higher deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinks View Post
      I agree, it is lot of money, but it is actual London prices for the kind of property I am looking for.
      I expect to stay long term, ideally over a decade or two, but sure we never know, situation may change and it could become not affordable anymore.
      In this situation, and to avoid mortgage eventual fraud, it would be wiser to wait and continue to save as much as possible.
      I would then have a better eyesight of my future and take less risk if I can borrow less and have a higher deposit.
      I would discuss the amount you can borrow from a mortgage lender, because you might well get it based on your current earnings without having to be dishonest about what might happen.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

I thought you were leaving the UK? That's what you said earlier in the thread at least?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          I thought you were leaving the UK? That's what you said earlier in the thread at least?
          No, it is not me that leaves UK, but my end client ! (I know, it is not common !)
          Sorry for the confusion.
          I work for a major end client that decided to quit UK, that's why looking for another job, but want to stay to London for long time and then, think I will go back to France for my retirement.
          For now, my plans would be to stay approximatively 20 years here.
          The houses I target are about 80-100 m², 2-3 rooms.
          I have no child. Should be enough for me on long term.
          But I know, many things could change on 20 years.
          Last edited by Trinks; 18 December 2019, 23:15.

Comment

No, it is not me that leaves UK, but my end client ! (I know, it is not common !)
            Sorry for the confusion.
            I work for a major end client that decided to quit UK, that's why looking for another job, but want to stay to London for long time and then, think I will go back to France for my retirement.
            For now, my plans would be to stay approximatively 20 years here.
            The houses I target are about 80-100 m², 2-3 rooms.
            I have no child. Should be enough for me on long term.
            But I know, many things could change on 20 years.
            Why not spend the next 20 years enjoying yourself on living the good life and having fun?

Rather than waiting until you are nearly dead and move to France to wait to die with a coffin full of cash

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Why not spend the next 20 years enjoying yourself on living the good life and having fun?

Rather than waiting until you are nearly dead and move to France to wait to die with a coffin full of cash
              Having my own property would be a way to have a comfortable capital (or income) once I will be retired and not be renting-dependent all the remaining of my life.
              I think it is also an inflation protection if I expect to stay long time, whatever if renting cost more and more through the time.
              If I plan to stay many years, does it worth to continue renting instead of buying?

Then, when I will be retired (before 60 I hope, I am 36 now), I would have enough to enjoy the rest of my life.
              On the same time, I am saving on an private pension to insure a sufficient retirement.

Even if I have a mortgage, I expect to continue to enjoy the life and travel.

After, maybe I could target a cheaper property, but ideally I'd like a property in which I feel well.
              But I agree, I have to be sure that I could afford for it if things don't happen as I expect.

Comment

I'm no expert in real estate and I cannot predict the future.

BUT I think:

1) investing in real estate is quite risky at the moment (say it's riskier now than it was 5 years ago)
                2) investing in real estate in London is riskier than in other geographical areas of the uk

Given point 1 and 2

3) investing in a £6-700k property in London is a dumb move

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                  I'm no expert in real estate and I cannot predict the future.

BUT I think:

1) investing in real estate is quite risky at the moment (say it's riskier now than it was 5 years ago)
                  2) investing in real estate in London is riskier than in other geographical areas of the uk

Given point 1 and 2

3) investing in a £6-700k property in London is a dumb move
                  So, I should continue saving, put money into pension, and watch how the market evolve for the next years before considering any move.

Comment

So, I should continue saving, put money into pension, and watch how the market evolve for the next years before considering any move.
                    no. Buy something more affordable. Around the £300k mark. That way you'll have 20% deposit so you'll get better deals. If after 10 years you've saved then you buy somewhere bigger.

SmartMaps view of London property for sale - Houses & flats for sale - Zoopla
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

- What is the typical property purchase process timing?
                      How long is a piece of string... Anywhere from 3-9 months is typical timescale (but has been known to be quicker, and take longer. All depends how long is the chain, any issues come up with property you are buying or elsewhere in the chain. However, if you are reliant on a quick turnaround, you can bet your bottom dollar there will be delays of some nature. Very rare for a purchase to be completely smooth, unless you are a first time buyer purchasing a new build property.

- When does the lender checks for your contract and decides how much you can borrow?
                      When making the mortgage offer, which is done quite early on in the process.

- What about if the buying process take months and I become permanent before the house purchase occurs?
                      You would be expected to inform lender of a change in circumstances.

But
                      That said, we did exactly this. It is all down to your risk tolerance, and whether you think you will be able to complete in time.

In October 2018, I went contracting, with the main aim of boosting our affordability. The contract was a disaster, and was desperate to leave ,but had to wait until May 19 when we eventually completed. £600k house, £45k deposit, HTB, right up to the limits of affordability. Stupidly big house for just 3 of us, but in my early 30s we are in our forever home, and should never have to move again, at least not until retirement.

We managed to get a much bigger house, in a much nicer area, and it's worked for us. Straight after moving, I got a new contract, and if it wasn't for the IR35 mess I'd be pretty relaxed. However, even if I have to go permanent, like you have the option of getting wife to work so is still well within our current affordability.

What you're proposing is risky, especially if you can't get another contract beyond June, at least until you complete your move, but it is feasible.

Yes people will bleat on about credit crunch and question affordability if rates sky-rocket, but those same people likely benefited from historic meteoric property price increases, and comparatively low entry requirements to get on the housing ladder.

Comment

Working...
                      X