• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance for Non-UK Residents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance for Non-UK Residents

Hi there,

I'm an Irish citizen and I have secured a role with a central UK government department which requires SC level security clearance. I am resident in Ireland and have never been resident in the UK (I have also been resident in Australia and New Zealand in the last 5 years). Is it actually possible for me to be SC cleared? Does anyone have any direct experience here or know any non-UK residents who have obtained SC?

A lot of third party agencies state you need 5 years UK residency to be SC cleared while the a UK Government website states you need a reasonable period of residency so meaningful security checks can be carried out. Again I have zero UK residency.

I just want to know now what my chances are. The recruitment team are processing my documents and advise to just see what happens but I don't want it to drag out forever either.

Thanks.

While I cannot respond to the Security side of the of the question, if there are any doubts about the positive outcome, would suggest to keep on applying in the interim.

Sorry if teaching to suck eggs...

Comment

There's a chance. Ireland is not on the same level of risk as Pakistan, for instance. While SC requires 5 years UK residency, Ireland may well be a special case, and I know of SC-cleared Irish citizens.

No point guessing. Apply but keep looking just in case.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by robbie415 View Post
        Hi there,

I'm an Irish citizen and I have secured a role with a central UK government department which requires SC level security clearance. I am resident in Ireland and have never been resident in the UK (I have also been resident in Australia and New Zealand in the last 5 years). Is it actually possible for me to be SC cleared? Does anyone have any direct experience here or know any non-UK residents who have obtained SC?

A lot of third party agencies state you need 5 years UK residency to be SC cleared while the a UK Government website states you need a reasonable period of residency so meaningful security checks can be carried out. Again I have zero UK residency.

I just want to know now what my chances are. The recruitment team are processing my documents and advise to just see what happens but I don't want it to drag out forever either.

Thanks.
        It depends.
        Have you started the application yet?
        If the role and clearance do require you to have been resident for five years then the client is unlikely to sponsor you in the first place. You’ll find that out quickly.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks for replies. They have started sending forms to complete and I guess the SC process will start when I fill them in and they start processing them. Maybe then they might realise I've never been UK resident as it's not a huge thing in the initial application process. Ill just have to wait and see. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X