• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High profits one year, low the next; how best to manage corporation tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High profits one year, low the next; how best to manage corporation tax?

Hello!

I'm lucky that this has been a good year for me with high profits (and subsequently high corporation tax).

Next year revenue will drop to near zero (by choice).

I'm wondering if there's any way of evening this out - 'defer' profits until the next tax year, director's loan or something?

Thanks for your help!

No, there's not really any significant way to do it (for a one-man contractor company, anyway) and it doesn't matter, anyway. Your company will pay the same amount of tax whether it has £1 million in profit this year and zero next, or £500K each year.

A DL has no bearing on profit/loss and corporation tax.

You could pay yourself more salary this year and less next, but that would increase your personal taxation.

Comment

Depends how you invoice and recognise income.

If you are on a monthly gig then not a lot you can do.

If you are on a "results" or milestone gig then making the final task "spill over" into the next financial year by a couple of day means you'd be invoicing the final payment in Y2 not Y1 - hence reducing Y1 income and increasing Y2 income

Unless you care about the "vanity" of always making a profit it doesn't make a blind bit of difference in the end. You pay 19% tax on profit (this year and next at least - can change in the future). When you earn it just affects when you pay it - that's the only difference

Comment

Ermm...

Happy if an accountant would confirm it, but you can offset previous years' CT agaisnt in year losses and claim a partial refund...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Ermm...

Happy if an accountant would confirm it, but you can offset previous years' CT agaisnt in year losses and claim a partial refund...
          Yes you can, and you can also amend last year's CT against the current year and roll back losses in one year against a previous year's CT and get a refund.

Example:

2017: £1m profit
          2018: -£250k loss

Roll back the -£250k to 2017 and declare the following:

2017: £750k profit
          2018: £0

Comment

You've definitely already thought of this, but I'd make two years worth of pension contributions this year and none the next...

Comment

I don't really see what the problem is. Simply ensure you set aside sufficient funds from the good year so the CT liability can be paid when it falls due.

If this were personal tax then yes I agree it can make sense to do something a bit more quirky. Reason being you'll pay a far higher overall tax bill if (for example) you earn £100k one tax year, £nil the next, as opposed to £50k each tax year. The same isn't true for corporation tax, as currently it's the same rate regardless of profits.

So take a bit of care with dividends, it may well make sense to drip feed those across the two years...but the company's profits, doesn't really matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                I don't really see what the problem is. Simply ensure you set aside sufficient funds from the good year so the CT liability can be paid when it falls due.

If this were personal tax then yes I agree it can make sense to do something a bit more quirky. Reason being you'll pay a far higher overall tax bill if (for example) you earn £100k one tax year, £nil the next, as opposed to £50k each tax year. The same isn't true for corporation tax, as currently it's the same rate regardless of profits.

So take a bit of care with dividends, it may well make sense to drip feed those across the two years...but the company's profits, doesn't really matter.
                That's what I was gonna say but you beat me to it.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post

But divis are paid out of post tax profits. So if you make more net profit over two years by carrying back a loss in the second one, you get a bigger pot of retained profits to pay divis from , surely...?
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    But divis are paid out of post tax profits. So if you make more net profit over two years by carrying back a loss in the second one, you get a bigger pot of retained profits to pay divis from , surely...?
                    Eh?

Comment

Working...
                    X