• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying hardware on educational promotions for the company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qbait View Post
    @northernladuk What do you recommend? I'm going 2 have ~2invoices per month. At the moment, I'm considering having a software like Xero or service like gorillaaccounting.com

@barrydidit For my work, Mac with ~16GB is must have, I'm afraid.
    I believe Gorilla Accounting get good reviews over here and they provide FreeAgent. So you won't require Xero.

Comment

From the moral perspective, everybody will be win-win? Apple will get anyway 1800GBP from my purchase
      How is lying a win-win?

I'm not trying to take the moral high ground here, you were the one who mentioned morals, and how everyone was a winner.

Most organisations that offer educational discount do so as loss-leaders. Get someone bought into their brand, and they will spend more money. They also make the margin by selling to professionals and businesses at a higher profit allowing them to do cheap deals for students.

So, if you're going to claim to be a student to get a lower price, don't claim it's a win-win, a victimless crime or has no moral question.

As for buying it through a student friend, you might want to check Apple's verification process, they may have rules around who buys the product - i.e. the name on the invoice. If the invoice is made out to "My Student Friend" at their address, you won't be able to put it through the company.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've just started contracting and I'm not fully aware of all rules.
        I set up the company yesterday, but haven't got back confirmation yet. Can I buy it as a regular person from my private bank account and later provide the receipt somehow?
        Or my purchase needs to be with the proper invoice with my company name and number on it?
        Your company cannot afford a Macbook it seems.
        Do you really need one? I doubt that unless you are developing software for OSX. And if you are then your client will likely provide the platform you need.

Do yourself a favour, and wait till you have some cash in the bank, and are on your 2nd contract. In the meantime buy a cheap laptop, or a 2nd hand one if you must have a Macbook.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If you're VAT registered, that would probably offer a bigger saving than any educational discount won't it? 16.7% off the list price. You'll need to purchase it in the company name and get a valid VAT invoice though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            If you're VAT registered, that would probably offer a bigger saving than any educational discount won't it? 16.7% off the list price. You'll need to purchase it in the company name and get a valid VAT invoice though.
            that assumes that the OP, in his first year of contracting, isn't on the flat rate scheme though.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              that assumes that the OP, in his first year of contracting, isn't on the flat rate scheme though.
              If the OP joins the flat rate scheme, they can reclaim VAT on any purchases made for the business in the six months prior to registering.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                True, although it's not hard to spec up a MacBook to cross the magic £2k threshold either.

Comment

Thank you all, your feedback is really helpful!

Thanks, @WTFH for your opinion about the morality, haven't looked at it from this side.

Comment

Working...
                  X