• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant Recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Actually, given the changes and acquisitions at the top f the market in the last year or so, I think we should bin that thread and start a new one. The OP finding mixed reviews for SJD, for example (there are no doubt others...), may be more a case of older posts rather than current reality
    Agreed. I’ll look at tidying it up later.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Agreed. I’ll look at tidying it up later.
      You want me to do it for you...?
      P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
        You want me to do it for you...?
        If you plan on doing it from the Principauté, does GDPR apply?

Salutations de Villefranche
        Bises, et bonjour.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          If you plan on doing it from the Principauté, does GDPR apply?

Salutations de Villefranche
          Bises, et bonjour.
          Indeed it does :-)
          P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sum007 View Post
            Hi, I'm looking for an accountant and was hoping for recommendations.
            I have done some research already and looked at and spoken briefly to:-

- Gorilla Accounting (Adam Scholes) - saw a thread about their marketing which wasn't positive
            - Fox Bartfield (Darren Upton) - can't see any reviews for this firm
            - SJD accountancy (Donna) - mixed reviews
            - Nixon Williams (waiting for a call back)

I note that FreeAgent is very popular so should I ensure the firm uses this? It seems like an extremely popular tool.
            Thanks in advance.

I can personally help here. Adam was my accountant when he was at NixonWilliams. He was very competent and a nice gentleman too, which always helps.

He moved to Gorilla, which to me was a good indicator that they were a competent outfit.

I'm not with Gorilla and never have been, but I would absolutely avoid SJD, Nixon Williams, ClearSky (and the rest) as they are owned by a single venture group. You may have just seen threads here on how badly they are doing in terms of service - plus they haven't even called you back yet!

I'd go with Gorilla based on feedback from contractor friends and the people on this forum, plus my dealing with him for years - but I have a different company situation to a one man limited co now, which is why I didn't migrate to Gorilla. I can see they made a mistake with their mailshots, but they will presumably learn from this mistake!
            Last edited by contractorinatractor; 15 June 2018, 12:11.

Comment

I was looking for a new provider after many issues with SJD. I chose BI Accountancy. I had a short list of Maslins, Gorilla, BI, and a few more. Gave them all a call and felt most comfortable with BI Accountancy to address my needs.

I really like their quick turnaround - I feel like I have a dedicated accountant. Even the owner of the company picks up phone calls. BI Accountancy also provide FreeAgent as part of their service offering.

Overall, I'd say 1. shortlist accountancy companies, 2. call them up and ask them questions, and 3. go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by HPsauce View Post
                Overall, I'd say 1. shortlist accountancy companies, 2. call them up and ask them questions, and 3. go with the one you feel most comfortable with.
                I think this is fairly solid advice. I’d add to it that a FreeAgent partner is also a key requirement. There’s a “find an accountant” section on their website. Might be an idea to cross reference recommendations from here with that.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten
                  You've mentioned that in 50% of your posts to date (and they have given you 100% of your post likes). Are you on commission?
                  Originally posted by JB3000
                  You have only made 6 posts into this forum and 4 are about an unknown accountancy firm
                  Anyone want to be if he;’s gone before 7?

(Hint to admin - banning on an iPad takes too many clicks)
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Anyone want to be if he;’s gone before 7?

(Hint to admin - banning on an iPad takes too many clicks)
                    Why don't you report the post and get a proper mod to do the needful?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Why don't you report the post and get a proper admin to do the needful?
                      I'm not an admin, I'm a moderator. I'm feeling generous this morning and have just deleted Teejay's 4 adverts that he did over the last 3 months, along with the associated replies.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X