• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency does not want invoice. I must fill out their timesheet in order to get paid.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency does not want invoice. I must fill out their timesheet in order to get paid.

Hello, I'm wondering if the following scenario makes any difference to IR35 status:

Agency has told me not to invoice them.
    Agency asked me to fill out their timesheet portal and they will pay me based on that.
    They want me to do this once per month.

Could anyone comment if this is likely to have any affect on my status as being inside/outside?

Agency does not want invoice. I must fill out their timesheet in order to get...

Nope. This has no bearing on your IR35 status.

Self billing is pretty common and they usually just send you a remittance.

Comment

I think this is how almost all contractors work.

They’ll usually generate an invoice for you or you can make one up each month to give to your accountant, it’s fine
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

There has to be an invoice, especially if you’re VAT registered, but as the others have said they are probably operating a self billing system.

Comment

You really need to get a basic grasp of IR35. That's an awful question to be asking. A one line understanding of IR35 should be enough to not have to ask that.
          Really poor carry on.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You really need to get a basic grasp of IR35. That's an awful question to be asking. A one line understanding of IR35 should be enough to not have to ask that.
            Really poor carry on.
            There's nothing wrong with the question or the first three replies.

Comment

You need to confirm with the agency that their requirement is due to them operating self billing rather than them classing you as a temp on their payroll.

Also confirm that if you are using a Ltd that they will be paying into the Ltd's bank account and not requiring to pay you personally into your own account.

This presumes you have a Ltd you want to contract through. If not then it's likely the agency is treating you as an employee (i.e. inside IR35) as they would have required details of your Ltd to operate outside IR35 as a typical contractor.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeToedSloth View Post
                There's nothing wrong with the question or the first three replies.
                Re the question, yes there is. It shows the OP has made absolutely zero effort to understand IR35. If he can't even fathom this how on earth is he supposed to make sure his working practices stay outside etc.

If wager he's not put much effort in to understanding the 24 month rule and other aspects to being a good contractor. He looks like a permatractor playing tick box contracting.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 4 April 2018, 13:23.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

They’ll usually generate an invoice for you or you can make one up each month to give to your accountant, it’s fine
                  And we wonder why HMRC treat us like permies / temporary employees and not like a "real" business.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Speak for yourself. Most contractors I know (myself included) insist on invoicing whenever possible.

Aside from anything else it makes accounting easier since I can choose when to generate the invoice rather than having to wait for a self-billing note to arrive from the agency when payment occurs.
                    Last edited by Dark Black; 4 April 2018, 19:39.
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                    X