• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making Partner a Director and Shareholder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    £250 for an hours work!! How much do you think accountants earn!?
    It's not how much an individual earns, but how much their company charges.

If you think £250/hr is a lot, you've never paid for solicitors to sue an agency.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

If you think £250/hr is a lot, you've never paid for solicitors to sue an agency.
      I think it's a lot for filling in a couple of standard forms and sending them off - my accountants did this for me for free (/included in monthly charge)

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I've paid a solicitor to sue another solicitor though. What an effing nightmare it was and the amount of money both made was almost criminal in itself..
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Adding a director takes 5 minutes.

Adding a shareholder takes about the same amount of time. £500 tells me its time to find another accountant.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Adding a director takes 5 minutes.

Adding a shareholder takes about the same amount of time. £500 tells me its time to find another accountant.
            I'll do it for a Monkey
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

My accountant did my wife (ooh err) for free.
              they do want £125 to do her SA though (I do that myself)

You need a new accountant.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Depends on the total picture. Accountants have to make their money one way or another.

My accountant gives me a great annual rate. My business is more complex than most of you guys, and I pay £1K a year. That's less than most of you, from what I read here. It includes annual accounts and tax advice. It includes no freebies. If I want him to do my self-assessment, I pay for it. If I want to change shareholding, I pay for it. He does pretty well for himself on those extras. He does pretty well for me on the annual fee.

He charges £200 to handle a change in shareholding. That seems high to me. I could probably figure it out and probably get it right a lot cheaper than that. But if I change shareholding once this year, I end up paying £100 / month. Seems like I'm doing ok.

The main thing is he gets my accounts right, when I scrutinize them and challenge them he doesn't complain and answers my questions and when I check his answers, they are always right. A few quid here and there don't matter much, and I don't care if he makes his money by charging a low fee and charging for extras or a high fee and throwing in the extras for free. However he does it, I do want him to make enough that he stays in business and can continue to provide the good service he's been providing me.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  Depends on the total picture. Accountants have to make their money one way or another.

My accountant gives me a great annual rate. My business is more complex than most of you guys, and I pay £1K a year. That's less than most of you, from what I read here. It includes annual accounts and tax advice. It includes no freebies. If I want him to do my self-assessment, I pay for it. If I want to change shareholding, I pay for it. He does pretty well for himself on those extras. He does pretty well for me on the annual fee.

He charges £200 to handle a change in shareholding. That seems high to me. I could probably figure it out and probably get it right a lot cheaper than that. But if I change shareholding once this year, I end up paying £100 / month. Seems like I'm doing ok.

The main thing is he gets my accounts right, when I scrutinize them and challenge them he doesn't complain and answers my questions and when I check his answers, they are always right. A few quid here and there don't matter much, and I don't care if he makes his money by charging a low fee and charging for extras or a high fee and throwing in the extras for free. However he does it, I do want him to make enough that he stays in business and can continue to provide the good service he's been providing me.
                  I have to say, you are the perfect client! Your accountant is a lucky guy!

Comment

Working...
                  X