• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free Agent, FRS and £2k+ purchases

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Agent, FRS and £2k+ purchases

I know I should ask my accountant, but easier to ask the hive mind and put up with the stick from NLUK for not using an accountant.

Anyway, new company year on Thursday and deciding to splash out on a new laptop to finally replace the 7 year old MacBook. I know I need a single invoice over £2k, and with apple that is easy enough to do, does extra power blocks, cables and HDMI adapters etc count as consumables or can they count towards the £2k capital.

Secondly, I've read that Free agent should "automatically take care" of the VAT element when calculating my VAT return, has anyone experienced this directly?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I know I need a single invoice over £2k, and with apple that is easy enough to do, does extra power blocks, cables and HDMI adapters etc count as consumables or can they count towards the £2k capital.
    One of many but answers the question.
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...-vat-rule.html

Not sure I've ever given you stick for not using an accountant have I? Not searching, being a cockwomble and bearing your arse on CUK do's maybe.

EDIT : First time on the freeagent forum and they've got an 'Ask a question box at the top'. Sweet jesus.. we so need one of these. Admin? Can you make it so or is this idea not compatible with 25 year old forum software?
    https://community.freeagent.com/freeagent
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 February 2018, 12:15.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      One of many but answers the question.
      https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...-vat-rule.html

Not sure I've ever given you stick for not using an accountant have I? Not searching, being a cockwomble and bearing your arse on CUK do's maybe.

EDIT : First time on the freeagent forum and they've got an 'Ask a question box at the top'. Sweet jesus.. we so need one of these. Admin? Can you make it so or is this idea not compatible with 25 year old forum software?
      https://community.freeagent.com/freeagent
      Didn't even know there was a freeagent forum

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I know I need a single invoice over £2k, and with apple that is easy enough to do, does extra power blocks, cables and HDMI adapters etc count as consumables or can they count towards the £2k capital.
        They can count, as long as they're all part of the same purchase

Secondly, I've read that Free agent should "automatically take care" of the VAT element when calculating my VAT return, has anyone experienced this directly?
        You'll need to explain it as "Purchase of capital asset" (not "Payment" --> "Computer hardware"). Assuming other bits and bobs are as I'd expect and the total cost is >£2k, FreeAgent should automatically pull it through.

Comment

Why are you still on FRS?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Provided it all goes through on one purchase it's fine. You can't aggregate separate purchases, even from the same vendor, to make it up to £2k so make sure you order everything you want cos you cant add other purchases later if you forget something.

No idea how it would work in FreeAgent, that's what I pay my accountant for
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Why are you still on FRS?
              Because it makes almost zero difference (to me), easier to just sent hector the 16.5% and not have to worry about receipts day to day

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                They can count, as long as they're all part of the same purchase

You'll need to explain it as "Purchase of capital asset" (not "Payment" --> "Computer hardware"). Assuming other bits and bobs are as I'd expect and the total cost is >£2k, FreeAgent should automatically pull it through.
                Perfect thanks a lot.

EDIT: I assume "Other Capital Asset Purchase" is the same thing?
                Last edited by SimonMac; 26 February 2018, 13:53.

Comment

Because it makes almost zero difference (to me), easier to just sent hector the 16.5% and not have to worry about receipts day to day
                  oh wow.
                  Just the accountancy fees make it worthwhile for me, and I have other expenses as work away a lot.
                  Don't get me wrong, I was better off on FRS 14.5%.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    oh wow.
                    Just the accountancy fees make it worthwhile for me, and I have other expenses as work away a lot.
                    Don't get me wrong, I was better off on FRS 14.5%.
                    I don't have any accountancy fees (unless Admin starts to charge for access here )

Comment

Working...
                    X