• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coffee spilled over my laptop, laptop now dead

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Interesting Googling a number of BYOD policies. Some don't include damage but those that do state it's the employees responsibility.

From
    https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtoo...icepolicy.aspx

What's this got to do with BYOD? He's not an employee. Seriously, what is going on here?

And besides which, as said, just because the policy says something doesn't mean it's enforceable or legal.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      On a £500 laptop, probably not on the basis of client relations and it being relative pennies to them vs the cost of the contract. I doubt a building contractor would casually absorb the cost of something decently expensive, for example, however.

Could Accenture? I believe absolutely they could.

Let's try and think of a more relevent analogy - imagine a small company hired to do some....I dunno, complex industrial testing. They bowl up with one of their fancy £5k fluke meters which is promptly broken because John chucks his brew all over it. Would they just absorb it? I dunno, honestly. People bill for delays, expenses and so on. If it was an arsehole client who broke the kit because they wouldn't listen or whatever then I'd definitely imagine your average smaller business saying "Screw you and, by the way, we're invoicing for the broken kit"

Let's be clear I'm not saying I'd go after my client - I'm saying that I really don't understand all these "proper contractors" (i.e., hypocrites) going after the OP for taking his own equipment on site and I'm not sure why he's getting so much flack for wondering why he should be footing the cost for somebody else negligence.

As an aside, this is exactly what public liability insurance is about.
      The average residual value of a £500 laptop is usually peanuts in comparison to the average contract value. Client relations etc. A 'proper contractor' should know that.

Comment

What's this got to do with BYOD? He's not an employee. Seriously, what is going on here?

And besides which, as said, just because the policy says something doesn't mean it's enforceable or legal.
        Then the OP should sue and be prepared to use bailiffs to enforce any judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          The average residual value of a £500 laptop is usually peanuts in comparison to the average contract value. Client relations etc. A 'proper contractor' should know that.
          Yeah, but not all the time. My laptop is still worth around ~£1000 on eBay - if it happened on the last day of a crap contract I'd be tempted to get a bit shirty about it.

My point, for the millionth time, is that there are several things at play here - liability and customer relations. Just because it might not be worth upsetting the apple cart over it doesn't mean the OP is somehow in the wrong.

Comment

Yeah, but not all the time. My laptop is still worth around ~£1000 on eBay - if it happened on the last day of a crap contract I'd be tempted to get a bit shirty about it.

My point, for the millionth time, is that there are several things at play here - liability and customer relations. Just because it might not be worth upsetting the apple cart over it doesn't mean the OP is somehow in the wrong.
            And my point, which you completely ignored, because as a permietractor your mind is closed to asking questions, is that we do not have all the facts, so your massive assumptions about the OP being someone who needs to spin up VMware to show level 666 on CandyCrush is just your assumption.
            Also your assumption that others don’t take information/equipment with them is again, just your assumption, for example, I take a tablet computer with me which contains a variety of documentation, information, etc. It stays in my bag unless I need it. It’s not sitting on a desk in the client office all the time, where it could have coffee spilled on it or be stolen. If, as a contractor, I was expected to bring my own company’s equipment to a client site, then I would want to make sure that if the contract did not specify coverage for loss or damage, then I’d have insurance for that myself.

Again, you’re straight in there with your wild accusations and assumptions. I started out by asking questions. Permies like to jump in with assumptions. Proper contractors ask questions first. No point in coming up with an answer until you have a reasonable understanding of the problem.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              And my point, which you completely ignored, because as a permietractor your mind is closed to asking questions,
              Haha, is that the best you can do? You may be a mod, but you're still a fool.

so your massive assumptions about the OP being someone who needs to spin up VMware to show level 666 on CandyCrush is just your assumption.
              My assumption being here that OP had his laptop on site so presumably felt it was required. It doesn't matter WHY he needed it, the fact is that there's nothing strange or unusual about carrying things like laptops around. At this point it's akin to having your mobile phone with you.

It stays in my bag unless I need it. It’s not sitting on a desk in the client office all the time, where it could have coffee spilled on it or be stolen.
              Bore off. Having a laptop on a desk is not a risky activiy.

Again, you’re straight in there with your wild accusations and assumptions. I started out by asking questions. Permies like to jump in with assumptions. Proper contractors ask questions first.
              No, you jumped in assuming the OP was lying, shouldn't have had his laptop there and was concealing a bunch of facts. Maybe he was - I wasn't there - but there was nothing to indicate that the post couldn't be taken at face value. I.e., he had his companies laptop on the desk and somebody accidentally broke it. It's hardly a far fetched scenario and I'm finding the heat he (and now I) are getting absolutely, utterly bizarre.
              Last edited by vwdan; 25 January 2018, 09:17.

Comment

It's hardly a far fetched scenario and I'm finding the heat he (and now I) are getting absolutely, utterly bizarre.
                The only “heat” you are getting is self-generated. You have slagged off everyone who disagrees with you, or anyone who has dared to ask a question.
                It’s not bizarre, you’re just being very arrogant in the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by kYuZz View Post
                  Hi,

I'm contracting for a big company and this morning an employee (who also manages me) spilt coffe on my laptop, which instantly stopped working. I wasn't insured for accidental damage.

I managed to go to the store and bought a new one so I could continue work.

What I'm thinking now is whether I could ask the company for compensation and whether this would be a good move.

Opinions?
                  Quoting the OP for vwdan, since dan is off on a crusade now.
                  1. Coffee spilt, laptop instantly stopped working.
                  2. Went to shop, bought a new one. No mention of trying to get the old one repaired, recovering data, inquiring from the person who spilled the coffee (or their company) if they would pay compensation, just went out shopping and bought a new one.
                  3. Wants compensation, not asking for covering the cost of repair, or funds towards replacement.
                  4. No mention as to the age of the laptop, how comparable it was to the new one, etc.

And as an aside, if you’ve ever parked your car in a ClientCo car park, you will most likely find a sign saying that it is parked at the owner’s risk, i.e. if an accident happens to your car, it’s between you and the person who caused it, not the company. It is not the company’s fault that someone spilled the coffee, it was “an accident”. Perhaps the person who spilled the coffee might feel some compassion and offer to help towards the cost of repairing the laptop, or they may just ask if the OP’s company insurance includes accidental damage.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    It’s not bizarre, you’re just being very arrogant in the thread.
                    You know what - I stand by what I think regarding this but you're right. Got a bit of stuff going on at the minute and I realise I'm taking this way way too personally. I will step out of the thread.

Comment

Any point you may have is buried deep under your own ridiculousness.

Comment

Working...
                      X