• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loans vs expenses between companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loans vs expenses between companies

Hi all,
    I am having a heated discussion with my accountant over the following situation:

Company x manages but to let properties and does not have enough capital to purchase properties so company z provides the capital. The invoices are sent to company z so that would in some way make it an expense. However, since company z is providing the capital, there is also the argument that company z is loaning company x, thus a loan and taken as a whole into the taxable income. Have any of you had this experience? How did you manage it?

Originally posted by Kk01 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am having a heated discussion with my accountant over the following situation:

Company x manages but to let properties and does not have enough capital to purchase properties so company z provides the capital. The invoices are sent to company z so that would in some way make it an expense. However, since company z is providing the capital, there is also the argument that company z is loaning company x, thus a loan and taken as a whole into the taxable income. Have any of you had this experience? How did you manage it?
    You're going to have to provide us with more information.
    Which company purchases the properties?
    Which company name are the properties in?
    Are the two companies in any way related?
    What does company z get out of the deal?
    What does your accountant say?
    What do you think?
    What answer would you like us to give you?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The invoices are sent to company z so that would in some way make it an expense.
      I'm probably being really thick here but what is this supposed to mean?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kk01 View Post
        I am having a heated discussion with my accountant over ......
        He's right. You're wrong.
        If you disagree very strongly then get a new accountant.

HTH.

EDIT: Looking at the description it sounds too complicated. A bit like "a tax
        arrangement is any arrangement which, viewed objectively, has the obtaining of a
        tax advantage as its main purpose or one of its main purposes."
        Source : https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ti-abuse-rules
        Last edited by Lance; 28 November 2017, 09:23.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          What does company z get out of the deal?
          I think that's the key here - what are they invoicing for? What does the paperwork say between the two companies?

Sounds like a loan to me, but there's so little information here it's just a guess. I'm just unconvinced that one company giving another company some money and invoicing for it (what are the payment terms? Is there interest applied? etc) can be anything other than a loan.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
          X